Chalapati Rao is a staff member in the Department of Global Health at the Research School of Population Health, ANU. His research interests lie in the collection, evaluation and analysis of cause-specific mortality data for population health assessment and demographic / epidemiological research. He is the Principal Investigator of a large-scale capacit building project to strengthen the Sample Registration System in Indonesia, and is also currently involved in field mortality studies in India, South Africa, and Viet Nam.
- Gupta, M, Rao, C, Lakshmi, P et al 2016, 'Estimating mortality using data from civil registration: a cross-sectional study in India', Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 10-21.
- Carter, K, Baiteke, T, Teea, T et al 2016, 'Mortality and life expectancy in Kiribati based on analysis of reported deaths', Population Health Metrics, vol. 14, no. 3.
- Carter, K, Tovu, V, Langati, J et al 2016, 'Causes of death in Vanuatu', Population Health Metrics, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. (9 pp).
- Ã–zdemir, R, Rao, C, Ã–cek, Z et al 2015, 'Reliable mortality statistics for Turkey: Are we there yet?', BMC Public Health, vol. 15, no. 545.
- Doi, S, Barendregt, J & Rao, C 2014, 'An Updated Method for Risk Adjustment in Outcomes Research', Value in Health, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 629-633.
- Joubert, J, Bradshaw, D, Kabudula, C et al 2014, 'Record-linkage comparison of verbal autopsy and routine civil registration death certification in rural north-east South Africa: 2006-09', International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 1945-1958.
- Pardosi, J, Adair, T, Rao, C et al 2014, 'Measuring subnational under-5 mortality: Lessons from a survey in the eastern Indonesian district of Ende', Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 367-377.
- Rao, C 2013, 'Mortality estimates for South East Asia, and INDEPTH mortality surveillance: Necessary but not sufficient?', International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 1196-1199.
- Taylor, R, Carter, K, Naidu, S et al 2013, 'Divergent mortality trends by ethnicity in Fiji', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 509-515.
- Joubert, J, Rao, C, Bradshaw, D et al 2013, 'Evaluating the Quality of National Mortality Statistics from Civil Registration in South Africa, 1997-2007', PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1-11.
- Hoy, D, Rao, C, Trang Nhung, N et al 2013, 'Risk factors for chronic disease in viet nam: A review of the literature', Preventing chronic disease [electronic resource]., vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 120067-120067.
- Hoy, D, Rao, C, Hoa, N et al 2013, 'Stroke mortality variations in South-East Asia: Empirical evidence from the field', International Journal of Stroke, vol. 8, no. 100, pp. 21-27.
- Franca, E, Rao, C, de Abreu, D et al 2012, 'Comparison of crude and adjusted mortality rates from leading causes of death in northeastern Brazil', Revista Panamericana de Salud Publica/Pan American Journal of Public Health, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 275-282.
- Joubert, J, Rao, C, Bradshaw, D et al 2012, 'Characteristics, availability and uses of vital registration and other mortality data sources in post-democracy South Africa', Global Health Action, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1-19.
- Adair, T, Pardosi, J, Rao, C et al 2012, 'Access to health services and early age mortality in Ende, Indonesia', Indian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 612-618.
- Pham, B, Adair, T, Hill, P et al 2012, 'The impact of the stopping rule on sex ratio of last births in vietnam', Journal of Biosocial Science, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 181-196.
- Pham, B, Hill, P, Hall, W et al 2012, 'The evolution of population policy in Viet Nam', Asia-Pacific Population Journal, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 41-56.
- Ngo, A, Rao, C, Hoa, N et al 2012, 'Road traffic related mortality in Vietnam: Evidence for policy from a national sample mortality surveillance system', BMC Public Health, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 561-561.
- Carter, K, Rao, C, Lopez, A et al 2012, 'Mortality and cause-of-death reporting and analysis systems in seven pacific island countries', BMC Public Health, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 9pp.
- Hufanga, S, Carter, K, Rao, C et al 2012, 'Mortality trends in Tonga: an assessment based on a synthesis of local data', Population Health Metrics, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 14-14.
- Carter, K, Hufanga, S, Rao, C et al 2012, 'Causes of death in Tonga: Quality of certification and implications for statistics', Population Health Metrics, vol. 10, pp. 15pp.
- Hoa, N, Rao, C, Hoy, D et al 2012, 'Mortality measures from sample-based surveillance: Evidence of the epidemiological transition in Viet Nam', Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 90, no. 10, pp. 764-772.
- Gupta, S, Khieu, T, Rao, C et al 2012, 'Assessing the quality of evidence for verbal autopsy diagnosis of stroke in Vietnam', Journal of Neurosciences in Rural Practice, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 267-275.
- Burke, L, Suswardany, D, Michener, K et al 2011, 'Utility of local health registers in measuring perinatal mortality: A case study in rural Indonesia', BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, vol. 11, no. 20, pp. 8pp.
- Carter, K, Sokai, T, Taylor, R et al 2011, 'Mortality Trends and the Epidemiological Transition in Nauru', Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 10-23.
- Rao, C, Kosen, S, Bisara, D et al 2011, 'Tuberculosis mortality differentials in Indonesia during 2007-2008: Evidence for health policy and monitoring', International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1608-1613.
- Rao, C, Adair, T & Kinfu, Y 2011, 'Using historical vital statistics to predict the distribution of under-five mortality by cause', Clinical Medicine and Research, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 66-74.
- Rao, C 2011, 'Breathing Life into Mortality Data Collection', Science, vol. 333, no. 6050, pp. 1702-1702.
- Carter, K, Cornelius, M, Taylor, R et al 2011, 'Mortality trends in Fiji', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 412-420.