Dr Ian McRae is a health economist with a background in statistics and in health administration and health policy. His PhD explored the behaviour of Australian general practitioner pricing and provision of services, and the reaction of the community demand to changes in pricing. Dr McRae has been with APHCRI since 2008 and provides assistance on policy, statistical and economic issues. He works on a range of projects including surveys of patients with chronic illnesses and the evaluation of the ACT nurse-led clinic.
Dr McRae has worked as a statistical advisor in the Australian Bureau of Statistics, undertaken the oversight of labour market programs and health-related programs from the Department of Finance and Administration, and managed the Medicare Benefits Branch in the Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing which involved (among other things) the management of the Medicare Benefits Schedule and the development of policy and management of GP financing issues.
- McRae, I, Gool, K, Hall, J et al 2017, 'Role of Cost on Failure to Access Prescribed Pharmaceuticals: The Case of Statins', Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 625-634pp..
- Khan MN, Zhang C, Islam MM, Islam RM, Rahman MM (2017). Household air pollution from cooking and risk of adverse health and birth outcomes in Bangladesh: a nationwide population-based study. Environmental Health, 16:57. doi 10.1186/s12940-017-0272-y
- McRae, I, Dawda, P, Banfield, M et al 2016, 'Can we measure integration of healthcare from administrative and clinical records?', Australian Family Physician, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 672-675.
- McRae, I & Pham, M 2016, 'When is a GP home-visit program financially viable?', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 554-558.
- Mazumdar, S, Butler, D, Bagheri, N et al 2016, 'How useful are Primary Care Service Areas? Evaluating PCSAs as a tool for measuring Primary Care Practitioner access', Applied Geography, vol. 72, no. -, pp. 47-54pp.
- Islam, M, McRae, I, Mazumdar, S et al 2015, 'Prescription opioid analgesics for pain management in Australia: twenty years of dispensing', Internal Medicine Journal.
- Bagheri, N, Gilmour, B, McRae, I et al 2015, 'Community Cardiovascular Disease Risk From Cross-Sectional General Practice Clinical Data: A Spatial Analysis', Preventing chronic disease [electronic resource]., vol. 12, no. Feb 2015, pp. E26/1-9.
- Mazumdar, S & McRae, I 2015, 'Doctors on the move: The first national estimates of geographical mobility among general practitioners in Australia', Australian Family Physician, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 747-752.
- Pham, M & McRae, I 2015, 'Who provides GP after-hours care?', Health Policy, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 447-455.
- Carpenter A, Islam MM, Yen L et al. 2015. Affordability of out-of-pocket health care expenses among older Australians. Health Policy, vol 119, no 7, pp 904-914.
- Dawda P, McRae I, Yen L, Islam MM et al. 2015. Does it matter who organises your health care?. International Journal of Integrated Care, vol 15, pp 11.
- Islam MM & McRae I. 2015. Real-time prescription drug monitoring program in Australia: we should be ready. Drug and Alcohol Review, vol 34, Issue 3, pages 344–345,
- Islam MM, McRae I, Yen L et al. 2015. Time spent on health-related activities by senior Australians with chronic diseases: what is the role of multimorbidity and comorbidity? Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 39, pp. 277-283.
- Mazumdar S, Mcrae IS, Islam MM. 2015. How Can Geographical Information Systems and Spatial Analysis Inform a Response to Prescription Opioid Misuse? A Discussion in the Context of Existing Literature. Current Drug Abuse Reviews, vol 8, pp104-110
- Gardner, K, Banfield, M, McRae, I et al 2014, 'Improving coordination through information continuity: a framework for translational research', BMC Health Services Research, vol. 14, no. 590, pp. 1-5.
- McRae, I & Butler, J 2014, 'Supply and demand in physician markets: A panel data analysis of GP services in Australia', International Journal of health care finance and economics, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 269-287.
- Bagheri, N, McRae, I, Konings, P et al 2014, 'Undiagnosed diabetes from cross-sectional GP practice data: An approach to identify communities with high likelihood of undiagnosed diabetes', BMJ Open, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. e005305/1-10.
- Feng, X, Girosi, F & McRae, I 2014, 'People with multiple unhealthy lifestyles are less likely to consult primary healthcare', BMC Family Practice Journal, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 126/1-7.
- Mazumdar, S, Feng, X, Konings, P et al 2014, 'A brief report on Primary Care Service Area catchment geographies in New South Wales Australia', International Journal of Health Geographics, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 38/1-8.
- Mazumdar, S, Konings, P, Hewett, M et al 2014, 'Protecting the privacy of individual general practice patient electronic records for geospatial epidemiology research', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 548-552.
- Jowsey, T, Yen, L, Bagheri, N et al 2014, 'Time spent by people managing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease indicates biographical disruption', International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, vol. 2014, no. 9, pp. 87-97.
- Parkinson, A, Jorm, L, Douglas, K et al 2014, 'Recruiting general practitioners for surveys: reflections on the difficulties and some lessons learned', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol. online, pp. 1-5.
- Islam MM & McRae I. 2014. An inevitable wave of prescription drug monitoring programs in the context of prescription opioids: pros, cons and tensions. BMC Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol 15, no 46, pp 1-7.
- Islam MM, Yen L, Valderas J et al. 2014. Out-of-pocket expenditure by Australian seniors with chronic disease: the effect of specific diseases and morbidity clusters. BMC Public Health, vol 14:1008.
- Jowsey, T, McRae, I, Gillespie, J et al 2013, 'Time to care? Health of informal older carers and time spent on health related activities: An Australian survey', BMC Public Health, vol. 13, no. 1.
- Banfield, M, Gardner, K, McRae, I et al 2013, 'Unlocking information for coordination of care in Australia: a qualitative study of information continuity in four primary health care models', BMC Family Practice Journal, vol. 14, no. 34, pp. 1-21.
- Mazumdar, S, Konings, P, Butler, D et al 2013, 'General practitioner (family physician) workforce in Australia: comparing geographic data from surveys, a mailing list and medicare', BMC Health Services Research, vol. 13, no. 1, p. 15.
- Gardner, K, Yen, L, Banfield, M et al 2013, 'From coordinated care trials to medicare locals: What difference does changing the policy driver from efficiency to quality make for coordinating care?', International Journal for Quality in Health Care, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 50-57.
- Jowsey, T, McRae, I, Valderas, J et al 2013, 'Time's Up. Descriptive Epidemiology of Multi-Morbidity and Time Spent on Health Related Activity by Older Australians: A Time Use Survey', PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 1 - 6.
- Yen, L, Jowsey, T & McRae, I 2013, 'Consultations with Complementary and alternative medicine practitioners by older Australians: results from a national survey', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 13, no. 73, pp. 1-15.
- Yen, L, McRae, I, Jowsey, T et al 2013, 'Health work by older people with chronic illness: how much time does it take?', Chronic Illness, vol. Online (published dates tbc), pp. 1-15.
- Yen, L, McRae, I, Jowsey, T, Bagheri, N, (2013), 'Time spent on health related activity by older Australians with diabetes', Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders, vol. 12, no. 33.
- Jeon, Y, Black, A, Govett, J et al 2012, 'Private health insurance and quality of life: Perspectives of older Australians with multiple chronic conditions', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 212-219.
- McRae, I, Yen, L, Jeon, Y et al 2012, 'Multimorbidity is associated with higher out-of-pocket spending: a study of older Australians with multiple chronic conditions', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol. Online Early, pp. A-F.
- Parker, R, Forrest, L, McCracken, J et al 2012, 'What primary health-care services are Australian consumers willing to accept from nurse practitioners? A National Survey', Health Expectations, vol. Online Early, pp. 1-8.
- Banfield, M, Gardner, K, Yen, L et al 2012, 'Coordination of care in Australian mental health policy', Australian Health Review, no. 36, pp. 153-157.
- Paolucci, F & McRae, I 2012, 'Healthcare delivery for our ageing population: What does Australia need to do?', in Jonathon Pincus and Graeme Hugo (ed.), A Greater Australia: Population, policies and governance, Committee for Economic Development of Australia, Melbourne, pp. 162-174pp.
- Yen, L, McRae, I, Jeon, Y et al 2011, 'The impact of chronic illness on workforce participation and the need for assistance with household tasks and personal care by older Australians', Health and Social Care in the Community, vol. 19, no. 5, p. 10.
- McRae, I, Yen, L, Gillespie, J et al 2011, 'Patient affiliation with GPs in Australia-Who is and who is not and does it matter?', Health Policy, vol. Online, p. 8.
- McRae, I & Paolucci, F 2011, 'The global financial crisis and Australian general practice', Australian Health Review, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 32-35.
- Pearce-Brown, C, Grealish, L, McRae, I et al 2011, 'A local study of costs for private allied health in Australian primary health care: Variability and policy implications', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 131-134.
- Parker, R, Forrest, L, Desborough, J et al 2011, Independent evaluation of the nurse-led ACT Health Walk-in Centre.
- Forrest, LE, Herath, PM, McRae, IS & Parker, RM 2011, 'A National Survey of General Practitionersï¿½?? Experiences of Patient Initiated Aggression in Australia', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 194, no. 11, pp. 605-608.
- Herath, P, Forrest, L, McRae, I & Parker, R 2011, 'Patient initiated aggression - prevalence and impact for general practice staff', Australian Family Physician, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 415-418.
- McRae, I 2009, 'Does understanding physician markets require modeling both supply and demand? Evidence from Australian GPs', <>.
- McRae, I, Schofield, D & Schrestha, R 2008, 'Equity, poverty and access to GP services in Australia', International Medical Workforce Conference, National Health Service (UK), Unknown.
- McRae, I, Schofield, D & Schrestha, R 2008, 'Modelling demand for medical services in Australia', International Medical Workforce Conference, National Health Service (UK), Unknown.
- McRae, I, Butler, J, Sibthorpe, B et al 2008, 'A cost-effectiveness study of integrated care in health services: a diabetes program in Australia', BMC Health Services Research, vol. 8, p. 11.