Jane Desborough (DAppScNursing; GDipMid; MPH, PhD) is a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Department of Health Services Research and Policy, Research School of Population Health, Australian National University. Jane is a mixed methods researcher, who works closely with patients, clinicians and policy makers to conduct research that is not only responsive to their needs and preferences, but aims to target quality and outcomes improvement.
Jane is currently conducting research that examines the interface between hospitals and primary care. She is working with patients and clinicians to co-create technology-based tools to support patients’ transition across this interface, with the aims of enabling patients to manage their health and to reduce hospital readmission in patients with chronic disease and after interventional procedures.
Jane is a registered nurse and midwife, and has worked clinically in a variety of settings for 25 years, including remote area nursing. Before moving to academia, Jane worked as a Senior Policy Officer at the ACT Health Directorate in the Office of the ACT Chief Nurse
- Du, W, Luther, M, Desborough, J et al 2018, 'Variation in and factors associated with psychosocial interventions for hospitalised self-harm patients in New South Wales, Australia', General Hospital Psychiatry, vol. 54, pp. 1-4pp.
- James, S, Halcomb, E, Desborough, J et al 2018, 'Lifestyle risk communication by general practice nurses: An integrative literature review [IN PRESS]', Collegian, vol. online.
- Desborough, J, Banfield, M, Phillips, C et al 2017, 'The process of patient enablement in general practice nurse consultations: a grounded theory study', Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 1085-1096pp.
- Desborough, J, Phillips, C, Mills, J et al 2017, 'Developing a Positive Patient Experience With Nurses in General Practice: An Integrated Model of Patient Satisfaction and Enablement', Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. Online, pp. 38pp.
- Desborough, J., Bagheri, N., Banfield, M., Phillips, C., Mills, J., Korda, R., 2016, 'The impact of general practice nursing care on patient satisfaction and enablement in Australia: a mixed methods study.', International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 64, pp. 108-119.
- Gardner, K, Parkinson, A, Banfield, M et al 2015, 'Usability of patient experience surveys in Australian primary health care: a scoping review', Australian Journal of Primary Health, 22 (2), 93 - 99.
- Desborough, J, Phillips, C, Banfield, M et al 2015, 'Impact of nursing care in Australian general practice on the quality of care: A pilot of the Patient Enablement and Satisfaction Survey (PESS)', Collegian, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 207-214.
- Gardner, K, Parkinson, A, Banfield, M et al 2014, Environmental scan of patient experience surveys used in primary health care.
- Desborough, J, Banfield, M & Parker, R 2013, 'A tool to evaluate patients' experience of nursing care in Australian general practice: Development of the Patient Enablement and Satisfaction Survey (PESS)', Australian Journal of Primary Health, 20 (2), 209-15.
- Desborough, J, Parker, R & Forrest, L 2013, 'Nurse satisfaction with working in a nurse led primary care walk-in centre: an Australian experience', Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 11-19.
- Desborough, J, Parker, R & Forrest, L 2013, 'Development and implementation of a nurse-led walk-in centre: evidence lost in translation?', Journal of Health Services Research and Policy, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 174-178.
- Desborough, J 2012, 'How nurse practitioners implement their roles', Australian Health Review, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 22-26.
- Parker, R, Desborough, J & Forrest, L 2012, 'Stakeholder perceptions of a nurse led walk-in centre', BMC Health Services Research, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1-7.
- Crow, J., Walker, L., Desborough, J., 2012, Nurse clinics in Australian general practice: planning, implementation and evaluation, available at: http://apna.asn.au/lib/pdf/Resources/AMLAresources/20121003_rsc_FINAL-Nu...
- Desborough, J, Forrest, L & Parker, R 2012, 'Nurse-led primary healthcare walk-in centres: an integrative literature review', Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol 68, no. 2, pp. 248-263.
- Parker RM, Forrest LE, Desborough J, McRae I, Boyland T. (2011) Independent evaluation of the nurse-led ACT Health Walk-in Centre. Submitted to ACT Health 30th June 2011. Canberra, Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute.