Jason is a GP and an epidemiologist who has worked mainly in the field of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health. Since graduating from medicine he has worked in rural Australia with a focus on child health and does clinical work at Gurriny Yealamucka, an Aboriginal community controlled heatlh service in the community of Yarrabah in far north Queensland.
Through his training as an epidemiologist Jason has worked at the National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO) and the National Health Performance Authority (NHPA) before coming to the ANU. At the ANU his research focuses on improving prevention of cardiovascular disease among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and understanding the health needs of ACT's children. He has an interest in the use of routinely collected data to improve health services and continues to be involved in national reporting through his position on the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Healthcare's Primary Care Expert Advisory Group.
- Strobel, N, McAuley, K, Matthews, V et al 2018, 'Understanding the structure
and processes of primary health care
for young indigenous children', Journal of Primary Health Care, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 1-12.
- Ju, I, Banks, E, Calabria, B et al 2018, 'General practitioners' perspectives on the prevention of cardiovascular disease: systematic review and thematic synthesis of qualitative studies', BMJ Open, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. e021137-.
- Paige, E, Welsh, J, Agostino, J et al 2018, 'Socioeconomic variation in absolute cardiovascular disease risk and treatment in the Australian population', Preventive Medicine, vol. 114, pp. 217-222pp.
- Sturgiss, E & Agostino, J 2018, 'Preventive Health Care Should Focus on Modifiable Cardiovascular Risk Factors, Not Obesity Alone', Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 71, no. 7, pp. 815-816.
- Agostino, J, Ferguson, J, Eastwood, K et al 2017, 'The increasing importance of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 207, no. 9, pp. 388-393pp.
- Sibthorpe, B, Agostino, J, Coates, H et al 2017, 'Indicators for continuous quality improvement for otitis media in primary health care for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 1-9.
- Agostino, J, Heazlewood, R & Ruben, A 2012, 'Improving access to primary care in the Cape York Peninsula region', Australian Family Physician, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 623 - 625.