Dr Viney is a public health practitioner, consultant and epidemiologist. She is a Sidney Sax Research Fellow (funded by NHMRC) - currently working at the Karolinska Institutet's Department of Public Health Sciences, in Professor Knut Lonnroth's group.
She has a strong professional and research interest in the programmatic management of TB and has worked in TB programmes and services in several countries including in the Pacific, Australia, the United Kingdom, Uganda, Egypt, Cambodia and the Philippines. Originally trained as a Registered Nurse, Kerri has managed TB programmes in Sydney, Australia and in the London Borough of City and Hackney (United Kingdom) where she implemented an innovative model of nurse led case management.
Her research focusses on the programmatic management of TB including the association between TB and diabetes, the role of patient costs in TB prevention and care, social protection and TB, active TB case finding and patient centred TB care. Her focus is on policy relevant research to support the End TB Strategy and global TB elimination efforts.
She is also interested in public health capacity building in low and middle income countries, including operational research training and field epidemiology training programmes.
Dr Viney is a member of the newly formed SPARKS (Social Protection Action Research Knowledge Sharing) network - a collaboration between the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, the Karolinska Institutet and the World Health Organization.
She is also an appointed member of the Stop TB Partnership's Wave 6 Proposal Review Committee, the World Health Organization's TB patient cost survey taskforce and the Australasian Clinical TB Network (ActNet) - Steering Committee.
Dr Viney chairs the Executive Committee of the Australasian TB Forum - a registered health promotion charity who advocate for TB elimination in Australia and the Asia-Pacific region: www.tuberculosisforum.com
- Alene, K, Viney, K, McBryde, E et al 2017, 'Spatial patterns of multidrug resistant tuberculosis and relationships to socio-economic, demographic and household factors in northwest Ethiopia', PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 12, no. 2, pp. e0171800-e0171800.
- Alene, K, Viney, K, McBryde, E et al 2017, 'Treatment outcomes in patients with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in north-west Ethiopia', Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 351-362pp.
- McHugh, L, Andrews, R, Lambert, S et al 2017, 'Birth outcomes for Australian mother-infant pairs who received an influenza vaccine during pregnancy, 2012-2014: The FluMum study', Vaccine, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1403-1409.
- Chan, J, Doyle, B, Branley, J et al 2017, 'An outbreak of psittacosis at a veterinary school demonstrating a novel source of infection', One Health, vol. 3, no. online, pp. 29-33.
- Mason, P, Snow, K, Asugeni, R et al 2017, 'Tuberculosis and gender in the Asia-Pacific region', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 227-229.
- Denholm, J, Bissell, K, Viney, K et al 2017, 'Research ethics committees in the Pacific Islands: gaps and opportunities for health sector strengthening', Public Health Action, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 6-9pp.
- Alene, K, Yi, H, Viney, K et al 2017, 'Treatment outcomes of patients with multidrug-resistant and extensively drug resistant tuberculosis in Hunan Province, China', BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 573 (11pp).
- Housen, T, Lenglet, A, Ariti, C et al 2017, 'Prevalence of anxiety, depression and posttraumatic stress disorder in the Kashmir Valley', BMJ Global Health, vol. Online, pp. 13pp..
- Viney, K 2016, 'Tuberculosis and type 2 diabetes: their relationship and its impact on the Pacific Islands region', Diabetes Management, vol. Online, pp. 14-16pp.
- Viney, K 2016, Publishing during your part time PhD, pp. 1-10pp.
- Kirk, M, Davis, S & Viney, K 2016, 'Letter Re: Ebola outbreak in West Africa: considerations for strengthening Australia's international health emergency response', The Medical Journal of Australia (Online), vol. 205, no. 5, pp. 236-237.
- Davis, S, Patel, M, Fearnley, E et al 2016, 'THE AUSTRALIAN MASTER OF APPLIED EPIDEMIMIOLOGY PROGRAM: LOOKING BACK, MOVING FORWARD', Communicable Diseases Intelligence, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. E326-E333.
- Viney, K & Imison, M 2016, 'TB anywhere is TB everywhere': Australia and the global burden of tuberculosis, pp. 2pp.
- Worwor, G, Harries, A, Merilles, O et al 2016, 'Syndromic surveillance in Vanuatu since Cyclone Pam: a descriptive study', Western Pacific Surveillance and Response, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 6-11.
- Viney, K 2015, Can we eliminate tuberculosis?, p. 7.
- Hoy, D, Kienene, T, Reiher, B et al 2015, 'Battling tuberculosis in an island context with a high burden of communicable and non-communicable diseases: Epidemiology, progress, and lessons learned in Kiribati, 2000 to 2012', International Journal of Infectious diseases, vol. 30, pp. 135-141.
- McIver, L, Viney, K, Harley, D et al 2015, 'Climate change, overcrowding and non-communicable diseases: The 'triple whammy' of tuberculosis transmission risk in Pacific atoll countries', Annals of the ACTM, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 57-61.
- Kumar, S, Graham, S, Varman, S et al 2015, 'Resistance of bacterial isolates from neonates with suspected sepsis to recommended first-line antibiotics in Fiji', The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 915-916.
- Viney, K, Cavanaugh, J, Kienene, T et al 2015, 'Tuberculosis and diabetes mellitus in the Republic of Kiribati: A case-control study', Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 650-657.
- Viney, K, Hoy, D, Roth, A et al 2015, 'The epidemiology of tuberculosis in the Pacific, 2000 to 2013', Western Pacific Surveillance and Response, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 59-67.
- Viney, K 2015, When ancient and modern diseases collide: evidence from Kiribati on the link between diabetes and tuberculosis, pp. 1-2pp.
- J. Cavanaugh K. Viney T. Kienene D. Harley P. M. Kelly A. Sleigh J. O’Connor S. Mase 2015, 'Effect of diabetes on tuberculosis presentation and outcomes in Kiribati', Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 643-649.
- Viney, K, Johnson, D, Tagaro, M et al 2014, 'Traditional healers and the potential for collaboration with the national tuberculosis programme in Vanuatu: results from a mixed methods study', BMC Public Health, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 1-9.
- Viney, K, Johnson, D, Tagaro, M et al 2014, 'Tuberculosis patients' knowledge and beliefs about tuberculosis: a mixed methods study from the Pacific Island nation of Vanuatu', BMC Public Health, vol. 14.
- Tagaro, M, Harries, A, Kool, B et al 2014, 'Tuberculosis case burden and treatment outcomes in children, adults and older adults, Vanuatu, 2007-2011', Public Health Action, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. S14-S18.
- Hoy, D, Roth, A, Viney, K et al 2014, 'Findings and implications of the Global Burden of Disease 2010 study for the Pacific Islands', Preventing chronic disease [electronic resource]., vol. 11, no. 5.
- Viney, K, Brostrom, R, Nasa, J et al 2014, 'Diabetes and tuberculosis in the Pacific Islands region', The Lancet Global Health, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 932-932.
- Naidu, K, Nabose, I, Ram, S et al 2014, 'A Descriptive Study of Nosocomial Infections in an Adult Intensive Care Unit in Fiji: 2011-12', Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 2014, no. Article ID 545160, pp. 545160-545160.
- Prasad, P, Gounder, S, Varman, S et al 2014, 'Sputum smear conversion and treatment outcomes for tuberculosis patients with and without diabetes in Fiji', Public Health Action, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 158-163.
- Fanai, S, Viney, K, Tarivonda, L et al 2014, 'Profile of tuberculosis patients with delayed sputum smear conversion in the Pacific island of Vanuatu', Public Health Action, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. s19-s24.
- Itogo, N, Hill, P, Bissell, K et al 2014, 'Tuberculosis notifications, characteristics and treatment outcomes: urban vs. rural Solomon Islands, 2000-2011', Public Health Action, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. S25-S28.
- Viney, K, Puloka, V, Tukuitonga, C et al 2014, 'Burden of TB in the Pacific: Strategic planning and public health action', in Andrew Robertson & Rupert Jones-Parry (ed.), Commonwealth Health Partnerships 2014, Nexus Strategic Partnerships, TBC, pp. 98-103.
- Harries, A, Marais, B, Kool, B et al 2014, 'Mentorship for operational research capacity building: hands-on or hands-off?', Public Health Action, vol. 4.
- Matoto, V, Viney, K, Roseveare, C et al 2014, 'Burden and spectrum of disease in people with diabetes in Tonga', Public Health Action, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. S44-S49.
- Hill, P, Dye, C, Viney, K et al 2014, 'Mass treatment to eliminate tuberculosis from an island population', International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 899-904.
- Bissell, K, Viney, K, Brostrom, R et al 2014, 'Building operational research capacity in the Pacific', Public Health Action, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. s2-s13.
- Narayan, N, Viney, K & Varman, S 2014, 'Comparison of tuberculosis treatment outcomes by method of treatment supervision in the Fiji Islands', Public Health Action, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 174-178.
- Viney, K, Bissell, K, Tabutoa, K et al 2012, 'Sputum smear examination and time to diagnosis in patients with smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis in the Pacific', Public Health Action, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 133-137.
- Zachariah, R, Harries, A, Srinath, S et al 2012, 'Language in tuberculosis services: can we change to patient-centred terminology and stop the paradigm of blaming the patients?', International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 714-717.
- Massey, P, Viney, K, Kienene, T et al 2011, 'Ten years on: Highlights and Challenges of Directly Observed Treatment Short-course as the Recommended TB Control Strategy in four Pacific Island Nations', Journal of Rural and Tropical Public Health, vol. 10, pp. 44-47.
- Viney, K, O'Connor, J & Wiegandt, A 2011, 'The Epidemiology of Tuberculosis in Pacific Island Countries and Territories: 2000-2007', Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 86-99pp.
- Viney, K, O'Connor, J, Wiegandt, A et al 2010, 'Tuberculosis trends in the Pacific: 2000-2006.', Pacific Health Dialog, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 157-171.
- Hackett, J, Madden, L, Viney, K et al 2010, 'Evaluation of three population health capacity building projects delivered by videoconferencing in NSW.', NSW Public Health Bulletin, vol. 20, no. 11-Dec, pp. 182-186.
- Gould, G, Viney, K, Greenwood, M et al 2010, 'A multidisciplinary primary healthcare clinic for newly arrived humanitarian entrants in regional NSW: Model of service delivery and summary of preliminary findings', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 326-329.
- Viney, K, Kehoe, P, Doyle, B et al 2008, 'An outbreak of epidemic keratoconjunctivitis in a regional ophthalmology clinic in New South Wales', Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 136, no. 9, pp. 1197-1206.
- Viney, K & McAnulty, J 2008, 'The evaluation of web-based data collection for enhanced surveillance of cryptosporidiosis', NSW Public Health Bulletin, vol. 19, no. 1-2, pp. 15-19.