Kim is a postdoctoral research fellow within the Centre for Research on Ageing Health and Wellbeing (CRAHW), whose research is orientated by a contextualised perspective to human development across the life-course. He currently holds a Fellowship from the Alzheimer’s Australia Dementia Research Foundation, and was recently awarded an NHMRC Early Career Fellowship to commence in 2015.
Kim’s core research interests cover aspects of healthy and productive ageing, focusing on the social, functional and cognitive impacts of sensory loss in late life. He also maintains a strong interest in psychiatric epidemiology, and is involved in a research program investigating the mental health of welfare recipients.
- Kiely, K, Mitchell, P, Gopinath, B et al 2016, 'Estimating the Years Lived With and Without Age-Related Sensory Impairment', Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 637-642.
- Butterworth, P, Leach, L & Kiely, K 2015, 'Why it's important for it to stop:Examining the mental health correlates of bullying and ill-treatment at work in a cohort study', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, pp. 1-11.
- Kiely, K, Leach, L, Olesen, S et al 2015, 'How financial hardship is associated with the onset of mental health problems over time', Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 909-918.
- Kiely, K & Butterworth, P 2015, 'Validation of four measures of mental health against depression and generalized anxiety in a community based sample', Psychiatry Research, vol. 225, no. 3, pp. 291-298.
- Kiely, K, Burns, R & Anstey, K 2015, 'Dynamic Analyses to Optimise Ageing (DYNOPTA)', in N. A. Pachana (ed.), Encyclopedia of Geropsychology, Springer Science + Business Media, Singapore, pp. 1-7pp.
- Kiely, K & Anstey, K 2015, 'Common Cause Theory in Aging', in N. A. Pachana (ed.), Encyclopedia of Geropsychology, Springer Science + Business Media, Singapore, pp. 559-569pp.
- Kiely, K 2014, 'Cognitive function', in Alex C. Michalos (ed.), Encyclopedia of Quality of Life and Well-Being Research, Springer Reference, Dordrecht 2014, pp. 974-978pp.
- Anstey, K, Kingston, A, Kiely, K et al 2014, 'The influence of smoking, sedentary lifestyle and obesity on cognitive impairment-free life expectancy', International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 1874-1883.
- Kiely, K & Butterworth, P 2014, 'How has welfare to work reform affected the mental health of single parents in Australia?', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 594-U111.
- Kiely, K, Butterworth, P, Wooden, M et al 2014, 'The Symbol Digit Modalities Test: Normative Data from a Large Nationally Representative Sample of Australians', Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 767-775.
- Kiely, K & Butterworth, P 2013, 'Mental health selection and income support dynamics: multiple spell discrete-time survival analyses of welfare receipt', Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 68, pp. 349-355.
- Kiely, K & Butterworth, P 2013, 'The contribution of financial hardship, socioeconomic position and physical health to mental health problems among welfare recipients', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 589-590.
- Kiely, K, Anstey, K & Luszcz, M 2013, 'Dual sensory loss and depressive symptoms: the importance of hearing, daily functioning, and activity engagement', Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, vol. 7, no. DEC, pp. 1-13.
- Butterworth, P, Leach, L & Kiely, K 2013, The relationship between work characteristics, wellbeing, depression and workplace bullying: Summary Report.
- Butterworth, P, Leach, L & Kiely, K 2013, The relationship between work characteristics, wellbeing, depression and workplace bullying: Technical findings from a survey of 32-36 year old workers in Canberra and Queanbeyan.
- Burns, R, Luszcz, M, Kiely, KM et al 2013, 'Gender differences in the trajectories of late-life depressive symptomology and probable depression in the years prior to death.', International Psychogeriatrics, vol. in press.
- Kiely, KM & Butterworth, P 2013, 'Social disadvantage and individual vulnerability: A longitudinal investigation of welfare receipt and mental health in Australia', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 654-666.
- Anstey, K & Kiely, K 2012, Evaluation of NHMRC Data on the Funding of Dementia Research in Australia: A report for Alzheimer's Australia.
- Kiely KM, Gopinath B, Mitchell P et al. (2012). 'Cognitive, health, and sociodemographic predictors of longitudinal decline in hearing acuity among older adults', Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, vol. 67(9), pp. 997-1003.
- Kiely KM, Gopinath B, Mitchell P, et al. (2012). 'Evaluating a dichotomized measure of self-reported hearing loss against gold standard audiometry: Prevalence estimates and age bias in a pooled national data set', Journal of Aging and Health, vol. 24(3), pp. 439-458.
- Anstey KJ, Bielak AMM, Birrell CL, Browning CJ, Burns RA, Byles J, Kiely KM, et al. (2011). 'Understanding ageing in older Australians: The contribution of the DYNOPTA project to the evidence base and policy. Australasian Journal on Ageing. vol. 30 (suppl 2), 24-31.
- Anstey KJ, Kiely KM, Booth H, et al. (2011). 'Indigenous Australians are under-represented in longitudinal ageing studies', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 35(4), pp. 331-336.
- Bielak A, Gerstorf D, Kiely KM, et al. (2011). 'Depressive symptoms predict decline in perceptual speed in older adulthood', Psychology and Aging, vol. 26(3), pp. 576-583.
- Burns RA, Butterworth P, Kiely KM, et al. (2011). 'Testing the efficacy of a multiple Imputation model in the harmonisation of 9 longitudinal studies of ageing'. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 64(7), pp. 787-793.
- Kiely K, Christensen H, Anstey KJ et al (2011). 'Functional equivalence of the National Adult Reading Test (NART) and Schonell reading tests and NART norms in the Dynamic Analyses to Optimise Ageing (DYNOPTA) project', Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, vol. 33(4), pp. 410-421.
- Anstey KJ, Burns RA, Birrell CL., Steel D, Kiely KM, & Luszcz MA. (2010). 'Estimates of probable dementia prevalence from population-based surveys compared with dementia prevalence estimates based on meta-analyses'. BMC Neurology 10:62. doi:10.1186/1471-2377-10-62
- Ross LA, Anstey KJ, Kiely KM, Luszcz M, Byles J & Mitchell P. (2010). 'Response letter to Drs. O'Callaghan and O'Neill'. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58(6), pp.1213-1214.
- Anstey KJ, Byles JE, Luszcz MA, Mitchell P, Steel D, Booth H, Browning C, Butterworth P, Cumming R, Healy J, Windsor TD, Ross L, Bartsch L, Burns RA, Kiely KM, Birrell CL, Broe GA, Shaw J, & Kendig H. (2010). 'Cohort profile: The Dynamic Analyses to Optimize Ageing (DYNOPTA) project'. International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 39(1), pp. 44-51.
- Anstey KJ, Ross L, Kiely KM, et al. (2009). 'Older Australian drivers: Predictors, cognitive and visual impairment, and international comparisons', The Gerontologist, vol. 49(suppl 2), pp. 226-226.
- Ross, L, Anstey, K, Kiely, K et al (2009). 'Older drivers in Australia: Trends on driving status and cognitive and visual impairment', Journal of American Geriatrics Society, vol. 57(10), pp. 1868-1873.