Dr Phyll Dance RN, RM, BA (ANU), PhD (ANU)
For the past 19 years Phyll has largely focused on projects related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health. This work has always been conducted in collaboration with Indigenous organisations and individuals, and has always included two-way transfer of skills. Projects have included: research on blood borne viruses; problematic alcohol use; investigations of the service and treatment needs of Elders, and of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who use illegal drugs; and estimates of the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the ACT and region using heroin. Much of this work has been conducted at the National Centre for Epidemiology and Population health (NCEPH) where Phyll was also involved in supervising HDR students.
During 2010-2011 Phyll was employed part time at the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health; from 2013-2017 part time at the ANU Medical School; and during 2014-2015 part time at the National Centre for Indigenous Studies. Phyll recommenced part-time employment at NCEPH at the beginning of 2018.
In 2010 Phyll was presented with the inaugural Vice Chancellor's Award for Reconciliation.
- Guthrie, J, Dance, P, Lokuge, K et al 2017, Exploring the potential of Justice Reinvestment in Cowra.
- Thurber, K, Dobbins, T, Kirk, M et al 2015, 'Early life predictors of increased body mass index among indigenous Australian children', PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 10, no. 6.
- Lovett, R, Dance, P, Guthrie, J et al 2014, 'Walan Girri: developing a culturally mediated case management model for problematic alcohol use among urban Indigenous people', Australian Health Review, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 440-446.
- Olsen, A, Banwell, C & Dance, P 2013, 'Reinforced biographies among women living with hepatitis C', Qualitative Health Research, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 531-540.
- Olsen, A, Banwell, C, Dance, P et al 2012, 'Positive health beliefs and behaviours in the midst of difficult lives: Women who inject drugs', International Journal of Drug Policy, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 312-318.
- Guthrie, J, Adcock, F & Dance, P 2011, Workshop Report: Exploring the feasibility of Justice Reinvestment in the Australian Capital Territory.
- Guthrie J, Dance P, Kelly, P et al 2011, 'Public health capacity development through Indigenous involvement in the Master of Applied Epidemiology program - Celebrations and commiserations', Australian Aboriginal Studies, no. 2, pp. 102-110.
- Guthrie J, F Adcock & P Dance. 2011. Workshop Report: Exploring the feasibility of Justice Reinvestment in the Australian Capital Territory. AIATSIS. http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/research/people/documents/FinalJRWorkshopRepor...
- Guthrie, J & P Dance. 2011. The 2010 Inmate Health Survey: returning the favour. Intouch, July:2.
- Guthrie, J, Lovett, R, Dance, P et al 2010, ''Where's your country? New approaches for working with problematic alcohol use among Indigenous Australians in an urban setting', Australian Aboriginal Studies Journal, no. 1, pp. 100-107.
- 2 Pac, Ace of Spades, Chantal, Fifty-cents, Fiona, John (2), Liï¿½??l Kim, Master BJ (pseudonyms), J Tongs, H Chatfield, P Dance & J Guthrie.
- Banwell, C, Dance, P, Olsen, A et al 2009, 'It Fucks Your Insides Up: The Effects of Australian Urban Women's Opoid Use on Their Sexual and Reproductive Functioning', Women's Health & Urban Life, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 14-27.
- Olsen, A, Banwell, C & Dance, P 2009, 'Internal or Infernal Devices: Experiences of Contraception Among Australian Women Living With Hepatitis C', Health Care for Women International, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 456-474.
- Lovett, R, Fisher, J, Al Yaman, F et al 2008, 'A review of Australian health privacy regulation regarding the use and disclosure of identified data to conduct data linkage', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 282-285.
- Guthrie, J, Dance, P, Cubillo, C et al 2006, 'Working in partnership: skills transfer in developing a cross-cultural research team', Journal of Community Psychology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 515-522.
- Banwell, C, Dance, P, Quinn, C et al 2006, 'Alcohol, other drug use, and gambling among Australian Capital Territory (ACT) workers in the building and related industries', Drugs: education, prevention and policy, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 167-178.
- Wright, M, Giele, C, Dance, P et al 2005, 'Fulfilling prophecy? Sexually transmitted infections and HIV in Indigenous people in Western Australia', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 183, no. 3, pp. 124-128.
- Dance, P, Brown, R, Bammer, G et al 2004, 'Aged care services for Indigenous people in the Australian Capital Territory and surrounds: analysing needs and implementing change', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 579-583.