I was a public servant for 16 years, working in health in both state and federal governments. I was then Deputy CEO of the Mental Health Council of Australia from 2005-2009, assisting in the publication of the seminal Not for Service report (2005) as well as other reports. I work part-time at the ANU and also hold a position as Senior Lecturer at the Brain and Mind Centre at the University of Sydney. I also work privately as a consultant in the area of mental health.
From 2009-2012 I was a member of the NHMRC's Prevention and Community Health Committee. I am currently a member of the Executive Board of the Australian Health Care Reform Alliance and the MindOUT LGBTQI Expert Advisory Panel. I am the Brain and Mind Centre's representative at Mental Health Australia.
I completed my PhD in 2017: Is Anybody Getting Better - Accountabilty for Mental Health in Australia.
I am currently researching new tools in accountability for mental health, attempting to assess system performance and whether what is being done for people is actually helping.
- Rosenberg, S 2018, Are we relieving the pressure on our hospitals?.
- Rosenberg, S 2018, 'Activity-based funding and mental health: a rejoinder', Australasian Psychiatry, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 325-328.
- Rosenberg, S & Hickie, I 2018, 'No gold medals: Assessing Australia's international mental health performance', Australasian Psychiatry, pp. 1-5.
- Rosenberg, S 2017, 'Shangri-La and the integration of mental health
care in Australia', Public Health Research & Practice, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. e2731723.
- Rosenberg, S 2017, 'Challenges and opportunities for community mental health in Australia', newparadigm (Australian Journal on Psychosocial Rehabilitation), vol. Summer 2017, pp. 9-15.
- Rosenberg, S & Salvador-Carulla, L 2017, 'Accountability for mental health: The Australian experience', Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 37-54pp..
- Rosenberg, S & McDermott, F 2015, 'More than Pills and Beds: Contemporary Challenges in Social Work Practice and Mental Health Care', in Margaret Pack and Justin Cargill (ed.), Evidence Discovery and Assessment in Social Work Practice, Information Science Reference, Hershey, USA, pp. 113-129pp.
- Rosenberg, S & Hickie, I 2013, 'Managing Madness: Mental Health and Complexity in Public Policy', Evidence Base, vol. 2013, no. 3.
- Rosenberg, S & Hickie, I 2013, 'Making activity-based funding work for mental health', Australian Health Review, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 277-280pp..
- Rosenberg, S & Rosen, A 2012, 'Can mental health commissions really drive reform? Towards better resourcing, services, accountability and stakeholder engagement', Australasian Psychiatry, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 193-198pp..
- Rosen, A, McGorry, P, Hill, P et al 2012, 'The Independent Hospital Pricing Authority and mental health services: it is not a case of â€œone size fits allâ€?', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 196, no. 11, pp. 675-677pp..
- Hickie, I, Rosenberg, S & Davenport, T 2012, 'Not letting the ideal be the enemy of the good: The case of the Better Access evaluation â€“ Reply', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 581-582pp..
- Rosenberg, S & Hickie, I 2012, 'Better Outcomes or Better Access â€” which was better for mental health care?', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 197, no. 11, pp. 619-620.
- Rosenberg, S & Lazarevic, L 2012, Activity Based Funding and Mental Health Issues Paper.
- Rosenberg, S 2012, 'New governance, new hope: findings and results of the taskforce to establish a Mental Health Commission for NSW', Mental Health Review Journal, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 248-259pp.
- Rosenberg, S, Mendoza, J & Russell, L 2012, 'Well meant or well spent? Accountability for $8 billion of mental health reform', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 196, no. 3, pp. 159-161pp.
- Rosenberg, S & Rosen, A 2012, 'It's raining mental health commissions: prospects and pitfalls in driving mental health reform', Australasian Psychiatry, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 85-90pp..
- Rosenberg, S 2012, International Benchmarking of Australiaâ€™s Mental Health Performance â€“ State of Play Review.
- Hickie, I, Rosenberg, S & Davenport, T 2011, 'Australia's Better Access initiative: still awaiting serious evaluation?', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 814-823pp..
- Rosenberg, S 2011, 'True North? Twenty Years of Australian Mental Health Reform', International Journal of Mental Health, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 8-24pp.
- Rosenberg, S & Hickie, I 2011, 'Were the budgetary reforms to the Better Access to Mental Health Care initiative appropriate?
â€” No', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 194, no. 11, pp. 594-594.
- Rosenberg, S & Hickie, I 2010, 'How to tackle a giant: creating a genuine evaluation of the Better Access Program', Australasian Psychiatry, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 496-502.
- Rosenberg, S, Hickie, I & Mendoza, J 2009, 'National mental health reform: less talk, more action', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 190, no. 4, pp. 193-195.