Laurann Yen is a Research Fellow with APHCRI. A clinical psychologist by training, she worked for a number of years in community health practice in Tasmania and South Australia, before moving into health services management. She has held executive positions in health services management and planning in Australia and the UK, most recently as the General Manager of ACT Community Health.
In the UK, Laurann was involved in national and regional planning and management of the GP fundholding initiative as Assistant Director of Primary Care with Yorkshire Regional Health Authority; and worked extensively in primary care development with the Office for Public Management, where she was a Fellow. She has been working since 2007 on the set of research activity that makes up the Serious and Continuing Illness Policy and Practice Study.
- McRae, I, Gool, K, Hall, J et al 2017, 'Role of Cost on Failure to Access Prescribed Pharmaceuticals: The Case of Statins', Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 625-634pp..
- Jowsey, T, Yen, L, Dennis, S et al 2016, 'Time to manage: patient strategies for coping with an absence of care coordination and continuity', Sociology of Health and Illness, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 854-873.
- Jowsey, T, Strazdins, L & Yen, L 2016, 'Worry and time: The unseen costs of informal care', Chronic Illness, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 249-260pp.
- Carpenter A, Islam MM, Yen L et al. 2015. Affordability of out-of-pocket health care expenses among older Australians. Health Policy, vol 119, no 7, pp 904-914.
- Dawda P, McRae I, Yen L, Islam MM et al. 2015. Does it matter who organises your health care?. International Journal of Integrated Care, vol 15, pp 11.
- Islam MM, McRae I, Yen L et al. 2015. Time spent on health-related activities by senior Australians with chronic diseases: what is the role of multimorbidity and comorbidity? Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 39, pp. 277-283.
- Mazumdar S, Mcrae IS, Islam MM. 2015. How Can Geographical Information Systems and Spatial Analysis Inform a Response to Prescription Opioid Misuse? A Discussion in the Context of Existing Literature. Current Drug Abuse Reviews, vol 8, pp104-110
- Gardner, K, Banfield, M, McRae, I et al 2014, 'Improving coordination through information continuity: a framework for translational research', BMC Health Services Research, vol. 14, no. 590, pp. 1-5.
- Jowsey, T, Yen, L, Bagheri, N et al 2014, 'Time spent by people managing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease indicates biographical disruption', International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 87-97.
- Jowsey, T, Pearce-Brown, C, Douglas, K et al 2014, 'What motivates Australian health service users with chronic illness to engage in self-management behaviour?', Health Expectations, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 267-277.
- Islam MM, Yen L, Valderas J et al. 2014. Out-of-pocket expenditure by Australian seniors with chronic disease: the effect of specific diseases and morbidity clusters. BMC Public Health, vol 14:1008.
- Yen, L, Parkinson, A & Gardner, K 2014, Evaluation of the Medicare Local Implementation Adviser Role. APHCRI Reports
- McRae, I, Yen, L, Jeon, Y et al 2013, 'Multimorbidity is associated with higher out-of-pocket spending: a study of older Australians with multiple chronic conditions', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 144-149.
- Banfield, M, Gardner, K, McRae, I et al 2013, 'Unlocking information for coordination of care in Australia: a qualitative study of information continuity in four primary health care models', BMC Family Practice Journal, vol. 14, no. 34, pp. 1-21.
- Brusse, C & Yen, L 2013, 'Preferences, predictions and patient enablement: a preliminary study', BMC Family Practice Journal, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 116-116.
- Jowsey, T, McRae, I, Gillespie, J et al 2013, 'Time to care? Health of informal older carers and time spent on health related activities: An Australian survey', BMC Public Health, vol. 13, no. 1.
- Yen, L, McRae, I, Jowsey, T et al 2013, 'Health work by older people with chronic illness: how much time does it take?', Chronic Illness, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 268-282.
- Gardner, K, Yen, L, Banfield, M et al 2013, 'From coordinated care trials to medicare locals: What difference does changing the policy driver from efficiency to quality make for coordinating care?', International Journal for Quality in Health Care, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 50-57.
- Jowsey, T, McRae, I, Valderas, J et al 2013, 'Time's Up. Descriptive Epidemiology of Multi-Morbidity and Time Spent on Health Related Activity by Older Australians: A Time Use Survey', PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 1 - 6.
- Yen, L, Jowsey, T & McRae, I 2013, 'Consultations with Complementary and alternative medicine practitioners by older Australians: results from a national survey', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 13, no. 73, pp. 1-15.
- Yen, L, McRae, I, Jowsey, T, Bagheri, N, (2013), 'Time spent on health related activity by older Australians with diabetes', Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders, vol. 12, no. 33.
- Jowsey, T, Yen, L & Mathews, P 2012, 'Time spent on health related activities associated with chronic illness: a scoping literature review', BMC Public Health, vol. 12, no. 1044, pp. 1044-1044.
- Jeon, Y, Black, A, Govett, J et al 2012, 'Private health insurance and quality of life: Perspectives of older Australians with multiple chronic conditions', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 212-219.
- Jowsey, T, Yen, L, Ward, N et al 2012, 'It hinges on the door: Time, spaces and identity in Australian Aboriginal Health Services', Health Sociology Review, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 196-207.
- Banfield, M, Gardner, K, Yen, L et al 2012, 'Coordination of care in Australian mental health policy', Australian Health Review, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 153-157.
- Aspin, C, Brown, N, Jowsey, T et al 2012, 'Strategic approaches to enhanced health service delivery for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with chronic illness: A qualitative study', BMC Health Services Research, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 143-143.
- Yen, L, Gillespie, J, Jeon, Y et al 2011, 'Health professionals, patients and chronic illness policy: A qualitative study', Health Expectations, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 10-20.
- McRae, I, Yen, L, Gillespie, J et al 2011, 'Patient affiliation with GPs in Australia-Who is and who is not and does it matter?', Health Policy, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 16-23.
- Pearce-Brown, C, Grealish, L, McRae, I et al 2011, 'A local study of costs for private allied health in Australian primary health care: Variability and policy implications', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 131-134.
- Douglas, K, Yen, L, Korda, R et al 2011, 'Chronic disease management items in general practice: A population-based study of variation in claims by claimant characteristics', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 195, no. 4, pp. 198-202.
- Yen, L, McRae, I, Jeon, Y et al 2011, 'The impact of chronic illness on workforce participation and the need for assistance with household tasks and personal care by older Australians', Health and Social Care in the Community, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 485-494.
- Ward, N, Jowsey, T, Haora, P et al 2011, 'With good intentions: complexity in unsolicited informal support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. A qualitative study', BMC Public Health, vol. 11, pp. 686-686.
- Jowsey, T, Yen, L, Wells, R, Leeder, S. 2011, 'National Health and Hospital Reform Commission final report and patient-centred suggestions for reform', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 162-168.
- Jeon, Y, Jowsey, T, Yen, L et al 2010, 'Achieving a balanced life in the face of chronic illness', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 66-74.
- Yen, L & Wells, R 2009, 'Too Little Too Late - Care for Older Australians', EoL: towards quality care at the end of life, vol. 1, no. 2.
- Douglas, K, Rayner, F, Yen, L et al 2009, 'Australia's primary health care workforce - research informing policy', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 191, no. 2, pp. 81-84.
- Yen, L 2009, Medical mix-ups add to misery, Weekend Australian.