Nicholas Glasgow is a general practitioner and palliative medicine specialist. A graduate of the University of Auckland he has held academic appointments at the University of the United Arab Emirates, the University of Sydney and The Australian National University. His doctoral thesis examined the interface between primary and secondary care in a rapidly developing country.
He is recognised as an excellent teacher, primary health care researcher and leader within primary health care, university and administrative settings.
He has wide experience in all aspects of curriculum development, approaches to teaching, assessment and evaluation of educational programs across the vertical continuum of medical education. He has twice been a Harvard Macy Scholar.
He has successfully supervised 9 higher degree by research candidates and currently supervises three students - 2 PhD and 1 MPhil. He has examined 17 PhD/MD research theses and 2 Masters research theses.
Since coming to Canberra in 1997, he has won more than $25 million in research and development funds. Over $4 million of these funds are in NHMRC grants in which he is named as an investigator. He has over 80 peer reviewed publications and is regualrly invited to speak at national and international meetings in relation to his research, educational and leadership interests.
He has served on high level university committees including the Senior Management Group of the university, and as Chair of the Academic Board. He undertakes high level service on various professional and health service committees of organisations. He was a Ministerial Appointee to the National Lead Clinicians Group (acting Chair of the NLCG during the first half of 2014), was Chair of the ACT Clinical Senate and a Ministerial Appointee to ACT Health Directorate Local Hospital Network. He was President of Medical Deans of Australia and New Zealand 2015 - 2016. He makes regular contributions to the work of the Australian Medical Council serving on medical school and college accreditation committees (including as Chair), and in respect of applications for recognition as a medical speciality.
- Rainsford, S, Macleod, R, Glasgow, N et al 2016, 'Rural residents' perspectives on the rural 'good death': a scoping review', Health and Social Care in the Community.
- ten Cate, O, Hart, D, Ankel, F et al 2016, 'Entrustment Decision Making in Clinical Training', Academic Medicine, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 191-198.
- Rainsford, S & Glasgow, N 2016, 'Personal advance care planning uptake amongst Australian and New Zealand palliative care medical and nursing professionals', Progress in Palliative Care, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 153-158.
- Rainsford, S, Macleod, R & Glasgow, N 2016, 'Place of death in rural palliative care: A systematic review', Palliative Medicine, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 745-763.
- Chang, A, Van Asperen, P, Glasgow, N et al 2015, 'Children With Chronic Cough When Is Watchful Waiting Appropriate? Development of Likelihood Ratios for Assessing Children With Chronic Cough', Chest, vol. 147, no. 3, pp. 745 - 753.
- Chang, A, Van Asperen, P, Glasgow, N et al 2015, 'Children with chronic cough: When is watchful waiting appropriate? Development of likelihood ratios for assessing children with chronic cough', Chest, vol. 147, no. 3, pp. 745-753.
- Koerbin, G, Cavanaugh, J, Potter, J et al 2015, ''Aussie normals': an a priori study to develop clinical chemistry reference intervals in a healthy Australian population', Pathology, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 138-144.
- Glasgow, N, Bonning, M & Mitchell, R 2014, 'Perspectives on the working hours of Australian junior doctors', BMC Medical Education, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. S13-S13.
- Craig, P, Barnard, A, Glasgow, N et al 2014, 'Evaluating the health "hubs and spokes" interprofessional placements in rural New South Wales, Australia', Journal of Allied Health, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 176-183.
- Thomson, J, Anderson, K, Haesler, E et al 2014, 'The learner's perspective in GP teaching practices with multi-level learners: A qualitative study', BMC Medical Education, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 55-55.
- James, S, Pezic, A, Ponsonby, A et al 2013, 'Obesity and asthma at school entry: Co-morbidities and temporal trends', Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. E273-E280.
- Kaur, B, Roberton, D & Glasgow, N 2013, 'Evidence-based medical workforce planning and education: the MSOD project', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 198, no. 10, pp. 518-519.
- Chia, N, Bryce, M, Hickman, P et al 2013, 'High-resolution SNP microarray investigation of copy number variations on chromosome 18 in a control cohort', Cytogenetic and Genome Research, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 16-25.
- McDonald, C & Glasgow, N 2013, 'The Burden of Obstructive Lung Disease (BOLD) study in Australia', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 198, no. 3, pp. 124-125.
- Ceramidas, D & Glasgow, N 2013, 'Multi-morbidity: a system design challenge in delivering patient-centred care', Australian Health Review, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 309 - 311.
- Chang, A, Robertson, C, Van Asperen, P et al 2013, 'A cough algorithm for chronic cough in children: A Multicenter, randomized controlled study', Pediatrics (English edition), vol. 131, no. 5, pp. E1576-E1583.
- Ponsonby, A, Glasgow, N, Yates, R et al 2001, 'Asthma screening as part of a routine school health assessment in the Australian Capital Territory', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 174, pp. 384 - 388.
- Chang, A, Robertson, C, Van Asperen, P et al 2012, 'A multicenter study on chronic cough in children: Burden and etiologies based on a standardized management pathway', Chest, vol. 142, no. 4, pp. 943-950.
- Turton, J, Glasgow, N & Brannan, J 2012, 'Feasibility and acceptability of using bronchial hyperresponsiveness to manage asthma in primary care: a pilot study', Primary Care Respiratory Journal, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 28-34.
- Koerbin, G, Tate, J, Potter, J et al 2012, 'Characterisation of a highly sensitive troponin I assay and its application to a cardio-healthy population', Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 871-878.
- Pearce, C, Shearer, M, Phillips, C et al 2011, 'Views of GPs and practice nurses on support needed to respond to pandemic influenza: a qualitative study', Australian Health Review, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 111-115.
- Glasgow, N, Ponsonby, A, Kemp, A et al 2011, 'Feather bedding and childhood asthma associated with house dust mite sensitisation: A randomised controlled trial', Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 541-547.
- Douglas, K, Yen, L, Korda, R et al 2011, 'Chronic disease management items in general practice: A population-based study of variation in claims by claimant characteristics', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 195, no. 4, pp. 198-202.
- Fisk NM, Wesselingh SL, Beilby JJ, Glasgow NJ, Puddey IB, Robinson BG, Angus JA, Smith PA Academic Health Science Centres in Australia: let's get competitive Med J Aust 2011; 194 (2): 59-60.
- Currie, M, Reynolds, G, Glasgow, N et al 2010, 'A pilot study of the use of oral ivermectin to treat head lice in primary school students in Australia', Pediatric Dermatology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 595-599.
- Jeon, Y, Glasgow, N, Merlyn, T et al 2010, 'Policy options to improve leadership of middle managers in the Australian residential aged care setting: A narrative synthesis', BMC Health Services Research, vol. 10, pp. 190-190.
- Taber, S, Frank, J, Harris, K et al 2010, 'Identifying the policy implications of competency-based education', Medical Teacher, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 687-691.
- Chang, A, Robertson, C, Van Asperen, P et al 2010, 'Can a management pathway for chronic cough in children improve clinical outcomes: Protocol for a multicentre evaluation', Trials, vol. 11, no. 103, pp. online.
- Frank, J, Snell, L, Cate, O et al 2010, 'Competency-based medical education: Theory to practice', Medical Teacher, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 638-645.
- Gibson, P, Chang, A, Glasgow, N et al 2010, 'CICADA: Cough in children and adults: Diagnosis and assessment. Australian cough guidelines summary statement', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 192, no. 5, pp. 265-271.
- Aspin, C, Jowsey, T, Glasgow, N et al 2010, 'Health policy responses to rising rates of multi-morbid chronic illness in Australia and New Zealand', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 386-393.
- Jeon, Y, Kraus, S, Jowsey, T et al 2010, 'The experience of living with chronic heart failure: a narrative review of qualitative studies', BMC Health Services Research, vol. 10, no. 77, p. 9.
- Jeon, Y, Jowsey, T, Yen, L et al 2010, 'Achieving a balanced life in the face of chronic illness', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 66-74.
- Jeon, Y, Glasgow, N, Merlyn, T et al 2009, 'What is known about leadership and management in residential aged care and what is needed to develop them?: A narrative synthesis', Australasian Journal on Ageing, vol. 28, no. Supplement S2, pp. A61.
- Jowsey, T, Jeon, Y, Dugdale, P et al 2009, 'Challenges for co-morbid chronic illness care and policy in Australia: a qualitative study', Australia and New Zealand Health Policy, vol. 6, no. 22, pp. 1-8.
- Glasgow, N 2009, 'Will healthcare reform actually occur in the US?', Chronic Illness, vol. 5, pp. 142 -144.
- Douglas, K, Rayner, F, Yen, L et al 2009, 'Australia's primary health care workforce - research informing policy', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 191, no. 2, pp. 81-84.
- Humphreys, J, Prideaux, D, Beilby, J et al, eds, 2009, From medical school to medical practice: a national tracking system to underpin planning for a sustainable medical workforce in Australasia, 191.
- Pearce-Brown, C, Jowsey, T, Jeon, Y et al 2008, 'The process of learning: Chronic disease patient and carer experiences, and the implications these have for health policy in the Australian context', International Congress on Chronic Disease Self-Management 2008, ed. Richard Osborne, University of Melbourne, Melbourne.
- Glasgow, N, Zwar, N, Harris, M et al 2008, 'Australia', in Ellen Nolte, Cecile Knai, Martin McKee (ed.), Managing chronic conditions: experience in eight countries, World Health Organization (WHO Press), European Union, pp. 131-160.
- Patel, M, Phillips, C, Pearce, C et al 2008, 'General practice and pandemic influenza: a framework for planning and comparison of plans in five countries', PLoS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 3, no. 5, pp. e2269.
- Glasgow, N, Jeon, Y, Kraus, S et al 2008, 'Chronic disease self-management support: the way forward for Australia', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 189, no. 10, pp. S14 - S16.
- Glasgow, N, Marley, J, Kristjanson, L et al 2008, 'Bringing evidence to bear on policy processes: the challenge of the Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 188, no. 8, pp. s46-s49.
- Glasgow, N 2008, 'Systems for the management of respiratory disease in primary care - an international series: Australia', Primary Care Respiratory Journal, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 19-25.
- Ponsonby, A, Glasgow, N, Pezic, A et al 2008, 'A temporal decline in asthma but not eczema prevalence from 2000 to 2005 at school entry in the Australian Capital Territory with further consideration of country of birth', International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 37, pp. 559-569.
- Glasgow, N, Wells, R, Butler, J et al 2008, 'The effectiveness of competency-based education in equipping primary health care workers to manage chronic disease in Australian general practice settings', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 188, no. 8 Suppl, pp. S92-S96.
- Bowden, F, Currie, M, Toyne, H et al 2008, 'Screening for Chlamydia trachomatis at the time of routine Pap smear in general practice: A cluster randomised controlled trial.', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 188, no. 2, pp. 76-80.
- Phillips, C, Patel, M, Glasgow, N et al 2007, 'Australian general practice and pandemic influenza: models of clinical practice in an established pandemic', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 186, no. 7, pp. 355-358.
- Robertson, C, Price, D, Henry, R et al 2007, 'Short course montelukast for intermittent asthma in children: a randomised controlled trial', American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 175, pp. 323-329.
- Chang, A, Landau, L, Van Asperen, P et al 2006, 'Cough in children: definitions and clinical evaluation', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 184, no. 8, pp. 398-403.
- Toyne, H, Glasgow, N, McGuiness, C et al 2006, 'Screening for chlamydia with the Pap test', Australian Family Physician, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 657-752.
- Sibthorpe, B, Glasgow, N & Wells, R 2005, 'Emergent themes in sustainability of primary health care innovation', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 183, no. 10, pp. S77-S80.
- Phillips, C, Yates, R, Glasgow, N et al 2005, 'Improving response rates to primary and supplementary questionnaires by changing response and instruction burden: cluster randomised trial', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 457-460.
- Sibthorpe, B, Glasgow, N & Wells, R 2005, 'Questioning the sustainability of primary health care innovation', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 183, no. 10, pp. S52-S53.
- Glasgow, N, Sibthorpe, B & Wells, R 2005, 'Beyond 'motherhood and apple pie': using research evidence to inform primary health care policy', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 183, no. 2, pp. 97-98.
- Le Couteur, D, Hilmer, S, Glasgow, N et al 2004, 'Prescribing in Older People', Australian Family Physician, vol. 33, pp. 1-5.
- Glasgow, N, Goodchild, E, Yates, R et al 2003, 'Respiratory health in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in the Australian Capital Territory', Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 39, pp. 534-539.
- Glasgow, N, Ponsonby, A, Yates, R et al 2003, 'Proactive asthma care in childhood: general practice based randomised controlled trial', BMJ - British Medical Journal, vol. 327, no. 7416, p. 659.
- Trumble, S & Glasgow, N 2003, 'General practice training', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 179, no. 1, p. 50.
- Glasgow, N, Taylor, J, Bell, J et al 2001, 'Accelerated withdrawal from methadone maintenance therapy using naltrexone and minimal sedation: a case series analysis', Drug and Alcohol Review, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 213-221.
- Ponsonby, A, Glasgow, N, Gatenby, P et al 2001, 'The relationship between low level nitrogen dioxide exposure and child lung function after cold air challenge', Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 2001, no. 31, pp. 1205-1212.
- Glasgow, N, Ponsonby, A, Yates, R et al 2001, 'Asthma screening as part of a routine school health assessment in the Australian Capital Territory', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 2001, no. 174, pp. 384-388.