Adrian Sleigh has over 30 years contribution to community medicine and international public health. Expertise includes epidemiology, infectious diseases, public health, impact of large dams, infections of poverty and health-risk transitions. In the past 10 years his expertise has been sought on emerging infections - for WHO (SARS, Hong Kong), AusAID (avian flu, Thailand) and WHO-TDR (malaria and TB, China and Myanmar).
He has lived in the developing world for many years, including long periods in Papua New Guinea and Brazil. He has conducted field work in many other settings, most frequently in Thailand and China. Research over the last 7 years has been primarily focused on the health-risk transition as Thailand moves from infectious diseases and malnutrition to non-communicable diseases, injury and obesity. He has teamed together with Thai and Australian collaborators to develop and consolidate a large multi-faceted national cohort study. This study began in 2004 and has already produced much information and postgraduate training on many aspects of this transition.
- Health information systems (incl. surveillance)
- Infectious disease transmission and control
- Health transitions associated with development
- Health impacts of large dams
- International cohort studies
- SLEIGH AC and Seubsman S. (2015) Studying the Thai Health-Risk Transition. In Butler C, Dixon J and Capon A (Eds) Healthy People, Places and Planet. ANU Press: Canberra (In Press): pp 166-176
- Rimpeekool W, Banwell C, Seubsman S, Kirk M, Yiengprugsawan V, SLEIGH A. (2015) Food and nutrition labelling in Thailand: a long march from subsistence producers to international traders. Food Policy (In Press)
- Berecki-Gisolf J, Yiengprusawan V, Kelly M, Seubsman S. SLEIGH A. (2015) The impact of the Thai motorcycle transition on road traffic injury: Thai Cohort Study results. PLOS ONE Online Mar 31;10(3):e0120617. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0120617.
- Yiengprugsawan V, Lazzarino AI, Steptoe A, Seubsman SA, SLEIGH AC. (2015) Psychosocial job characteristics, wealth, and culture: differential effects on mental health in the UK and Thailand. Global Health. Jul 8;11(1):31. doi: 10.1186/s12992-015-0116-x
- Tran T, Olsen A, Viennet E and SLEIGH A. (2015) Social sustainability of Mesocyclops biological control for dengue in South Vietnam. Acta Tropica Epub 13 October 2014 Online 2015 Jan;141(Pt A):54-9.
- Rahman KM, Samarawickrema IV, Harley D, Olsen A, Butler CD, Sumon SA, Biswas SK, Luby SP and SLEIGH AC. (2015) Performance of kala-azar surveillance in Gaffargaon subdistrict of Mymensingh, Bangladesh. PLoS Neglected Tropical Disease. Apr 10;9(4):e0003531
- Viney K, Johnson P, Tagaro M, Fanai S, Linh N, Kelly P, Harley D and SLEIGH A. (2014) Traditional healers and the potential for collaboration with the national tuberculosis programme in Vanuatu: results from a mixed methods study. BMC Public Health, 14: 393 doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-14-393.
- Kelly M, Seubsman S, Banwell C, Dixon J and SLEIGH A. (2014) Thailand's food retail transition: supermarket and fresh market effects on diet quality and health. British Food Journal, 116 (7); 1180-1193.
- Zhao J, Yiengprugsawan V, Kelly M, Seubsman S, Bain C, SLEIGH A. (2014) Self-reported health and mortality risk: an analysis of 767 deaths form a large Thai cohort. BMC Public Health, 14: 860,
- Lim L, Banwell C, Bain C, Banks E, Seubsman S, Kelly M, Yiengprugsawan V and SLEIGH A. (2014) Sugar sweetened beverages and weight gain over 4 years in a Thai National Cohort - A prospective analysis. PLOS ONE. 9(5): e95309
- Banwell C, Dixon J, Seubsman S, Pangsap S, Kelly M and SLEIGH A. (2013) Evolving food environments in Thailand and implications for the health and nutrition transition Public Health Nutrition, 16(4); 608-615
- Tawatsupa B, Yiengprugsawan v, Kjellstrom T, Berecki-Gisolf J, Seubsman S and SLEIGH A. (2013) Association between heat stress and occupational injury among Thai workers: findings from the Thai Cohort Study.Industrial Health, 51; 34-46
- Sun Y, Wang G, Zhen X, Liu Z, Harley D, Hall G, Vally H and SLEIGH A. ( 2012) The economic impacts and treatment cost of MDR-TB patients compared to non-MDR-TB patients in Henan Province Chinese Journal of Anti-Tuberculosis; 34(12): 773-779
- SLEIGH AC. (2011) Outbreaks, epidemics and clusters. In: Webb and Bain C (eds). Essential Epidemiology. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press. 445 pp (2nd edition).
- SLEIGH AC. (2011) Watching not waiting: surveillance and epidemiological intelligence. In: Webb P and Bain C (eds). Essential Epidemiology. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press. 445 pp (2nd edition).
- WHO Technical Guideline Development Group (A SLEIGH – Panel Member) (2009) Natural Ventilation for Infection Control in Health Care Settings WHO, Geneva pp 87
- SLEIGH AC. (2006) Water, Dams and Infection: Asian Challenges. In SLEIGH AC et al (Eds) Population Dynamics and Infectious Diseases in Asia. World Scientific, London , 57-71