Johanna is a Research Fellow within the Department of Global Health (DGH). She completed her undergraduate and honours studies in biomedical science, parasitology and molecular biology at Murdoch University. In 2015, Johanna obtained a PhD in the area of emerging infectious disease epidemiology. Her research investigated the role of live bird markets and poultry traders in the transmission and spread of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) viruses in Indonesia. Johanna’s research interests include public health, emerging infectious diseases, neglected tropical diseases (NTDs), social epidemiology, spatial epidemiology and disease perceptions within the community. She is currently working on the NHMRC projects: “Conquering schistosomiasis in China – the last mile” and “The effectiveness and acceptability of the ‘BALatrine’: a culturally acceptable latrine intervention in resource limited environments”.
- Infectious disease epidemiology
- Public health
- Spatial epidemiology
- Disease perception within communities
- Social and cultural determinants of health
- Kurscheid J, Stevenson M, Durr PA, et al. Social network analysis of the movement of poultry to and from live bird markets in Bali and Lombok, Indonesia. Transbound Emerg Dis. 2016;00:1–11. doi:10.1111/tbed.12613.
- Kurscheid J, Miller J, Abdurrahman M, Ambarawati IGAA, Suadnya W, Yususf RP, Fenwick S and Toribio JA. (2015). Knowledge and perceptions of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) among poultry traders in live bird markets in Bali and Lombok, Indonesia. PLoS ONE 10(10): e0139917. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0139917
- Johnson J, Buddle R, Reid S, Armson A and Ryan UM. 2008. Prevalence of Cryptosporidium genotypes in pre and post-weaned pigs in Australia. Experimental Parasitology 119, 418-421
- Johnson J, Samarasinghe B, Buddle R, Armson A and Ryan UM. 2008. Molecular identification and prevalence of Isospora sp. in pigs in Western Australia using a PCR–RFLP assay. Experimental Parasitology 120, 191-193
- Armson A, Yang R, Thompson J, Johnson J, Reid S, and Ryan UM. 2009. Giardia genotypes in pigs in Western Australia: Prevalence and association with diarrhea. Experimental Parasitology 121, 381-383
- Samarasinghe B, Johnson J and Ryan U. 2008. Phylogenetic analysis of Cystoisospora species at the rRNA ITS1 locus and development of a PCR-RFLP assay. Experimental Parasitology 118(4), 592-595