Kerri Viney is a Research Fellow and Tuberculosis (TB) Consultant who works for the Master of Applied Epidemiology programme at the Research School of Population Health, Australian National University (ANU). Prior to joining ANU, Kerri worked as a TB Adviser for the Secretariat of the Pacific Community, based in New Caledonia. She has a strong professional and research interest in the programmatic management of TB and has worked in TB services in several countries including in Australia, the United Kingdom, Uganda, the Pacific, Egypt and the Philippines. Her research interests include communicable diseases (with a special interest in TB prevention and care), the association between TB and diabetes, operational research capacity building, infection control and Pacific health. She has a Master of Public Health, a Graduate Diploma of Applied Epidemiology and has just submitted her PhD, which was about TB prevention and care in the Pacific Islands.
- The association between tuberculosis and diabetes
- Pacific health (including non-communicable diseases)
- Infection control
- Operational research in low and middle income countries
- Operational research capacity building
- Viney K, Hoy D, Roth A, Kelly P, Harley D and Sleigh A. The epidemiology of tuberculosis in the Pacific Islands region: 2000 to 2013. Western Pacific Surveillance and Response Journal. 2015; 6(3). doi:10.5365/wpsar.2015.6.1.001.
- Cavanaugh J, Viney K, Kienene T, Tabutoa K, Harley D, Kelly P, Sleigh A, O’Connor J, Mase S. Effect of diabetes on tuberculosis presentation and outcomes in Kiribati. Tropical Medicine and International Health, 2015; 20(5): 643-649.
- Viney K, Cavanaugh J, Kienene T, Tabutoa K, Harley D, Kelly P, Sleigh A, O’Connor J, Mase S. Tuberculosis and diabetes mellitus in the Republic of Kiribati: a case-control study. Tropical Medicine and International Health, 2015; 20(5): 650-657.
- Hoy D, Kienene T, Reiher B, Roth A, Tiira T, McKenzie J, Merilles OEA, Viney K. Battling tuberculosis in an island context with a high burden of communicable and non-communicable diseases: epidemiology, progress and lessons learned in Kiribati, 2000 to 2012. International Journal of Infectious Diseases, 2014; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2014.11.025
- Viney K, Brostrom R, Nasa J, Defang R, Kienene T. Diabetes and tuberculosis in the Pacific Islands region. The Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology, 2014; 2(12):932.
- Naidu K, Nabose I, Ram S, Viney K, Graham SM, Bissell K. A descriptive study of nosocomial infections in an adult Intensive Care Unit in Fiji: 2011-12. The Journal of Tropical Medicine, 2014; 2014(Article ID 545160): 5 pages.
- Narayan N, Viney K, Varman S. Comparison of tuberculosis treatment outcomes by method of treatment supervision in Fiji Islands. Public Health Action, 2014; 4(3):174-178.
- Prasad P, Viney K, Varman S, Gounder S. Sputum smear conversion and treatment outcomes for tuberculosis patients with and without diabetes mellitus in Fiji. Public Health Action, 2014; 4(3):159-163.
- Hill PC, Dye C, Viney K, Tabutoa K, Kienene T, Bissell K, Williams BG, Zachariah R, Marais BJ, Harries AD. Mass treatment to eliminate tuberculosis in an island population. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, 2014; 18(8): 899-904.
- Matoto V, Viney K, Roseveare C, Colagiuri R, Vivili P, Marais B. The burden and spectrum of disease suffered by diabetes mellitus patients in Tonga. Public Health Action, 2014; 4(1): S44-S49.
- Bissell K, Viney K, Kool B, Kumar AMV, Graham S, Brostrom R, Taylor-Smith K, Roseveare C, Hill P, Marais B, Marks G, Reid S, Gounder S, Ram S, Harries AD. Operational research capacity building in the South Pacific. Public Health Action, 2014; 4(1): S2-S13.
- Itogo N, Hill P, Bissell K, Harries AD, Viney K, Gounder S. Tuberculosis incidence, case characteristics and treatment outcomes: urban versus rural in Solomon Islands. Public Health Action. 2014; 4(1): S25-S28.
- Tagaro M, Harries AD, Kool B, Ram S, Viney K, Marais B, Tarivonda L. Tuberculosis case burden and treatment outcome in children, adults and older adults, Vanuatu: 2007 – 2011. Public Health Action, 2014; 4(1) S14-S18.
- Fanai S, Viney K, Tarivonda L, Roseveare C, Tagaro M, Marais B. Profile of tuberculosis patients with delayed sputum smear conversion in the Pacific Island of Vanuatu. Public Health Action, 2014; 4(1) S19-S24.
- Harries AD, Marais B, Kool B, Ram S, Kumar AMV, Gounder S, Viney K, Brostrom R, Roseveare C, Bissell K, Reid T, Zachariah R, Hill C. Mentorship for operational research capacity building: hands-on or hands-off? Public Health Action, 2014; 4(1): S56-S58.
- Viney K, Puloka V, Tukuitonga C and Souares Y. Burden of TB in the Pacific: Strategic planning and public health action. Commonwealth Health Partnerships 2014. Commonwealth Secretariat, London: United Kingdom, 2014.
- Viney K, Johnson P, Tagaro M, Fanai S, Nguyen NL, Kelly P, Harley, D and Sleigh, A. The knowledge, attitudes and practices of tuberculosis patients in Vanuatu towards tuberculosis. BMC Public Health, 2014; 14(467): doi:10.1186/1471-2458-14-467.
- Hoy D, Roth A, Viney K, Souares Y, Lopez AD. Findings and implications of the Global Burden of Disease 2010 study for the Pacific Islands. Preventing Chronic Disease, 2014;11:130344. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd11.130344
- K Viney, P Johnson, M Tagaro, S Fanai, NN Linh, P Kelly, D Harley, A Sleigh. Traditional healers and the potential for collaboration with the national tuberculosis programme in Vanuatu. BMC Public Health, 2014; 14 (393): doi:10.1186/1471-2458-14-393.
- Viney K, Bissell K, Tabutoa K, Kienene T, Briand K, Linh N, Harries ADH. Practice of sputum smear examination in patients with smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis in the Pacific. Public Health Action, 2012; 2(4): 133-137.
- Zachariah R, Harries AD, Srinath S, Ram S, Viney K, Singogo E, Lal P, Mendoza-Ticona A, Sreenivas A, Naing AW, Sharath BN, Kanyerere H, van Soelen N, Kirui N, Ali E, Hinderaker SG, Bissell K, Enarson D, Edginton ME. Language in tuberculosis services: can we change to patient centred terminology and stop the paradigm of blaming our patients? International Journal of TB and Lung Disease. 2012; 16(6): 714-717.