I have a strong interest in public health and communicable diseases epidemiology, in particular infectious enteric disease. I am a graduate of the ANU’s Master of Applied Epidemiology program and have worked as an epidemiologist with the OzFoodNet network. These experiences have given me an excellent insight into epidemiological, laboratory and regulatory aspects of foodborne and other enteric pathogens. I have been particularly involved at a national level with the issue of salmonellosis and eggs. In 2014 I commenced a Doctor of Philosophy degree at the ANU after being awarded a National Health and Medical Research Council postgraduate scholarship. My thesis examines the clinical burden of Campylobacter infection, particularly outcomes such as hospitalisation and indicators of severe disease such as bacteraemia.
- Moffatt CR, Moloi SB, Kennedy KJ. First case report of myopericarditis linked to Campylobacter colienterocolitis. BMC Infect Dis. 2017 Jan 5; 17(1):8.
- Moffatt CR, Glass K, Stafford R, D'Este C, Kirk MD. The campylobacteriosis conundrum - examining the incidence of infection with Campylobacter sp. in Australia, 1998-2013. Epidemiol Infect. 2016 Dec 12:1-9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Moffatt CR, Greig A, Valcanis M, Gao W, Seemann T, Howden BP, Kirk MD. A large outbreak of Campylobacter jejuni infection in a university college caused by chicken liver pâté, Australia, 2013. Epidemiol Infect. 2016 Oct; 144(14):2971-2978. Epub 2016 Jun 16.
- Moffatt CRM, Musto J, Pingault N, Miller M, Stafford RJ, Gregory J, Polkinghorne B, Kirk MD. SalmonellaTyphimurium and outbreaks of egg-associated disease in Australia Foodborne Pathog Dis 2016; epub ahead of print
- Sloan-Gardner TS, Glynn-Robinson A, Roberts-Witteveen A, Krsteski R, Rogers K, Kaye A, Moffatt CRM. An outbreak of gastroenteritis linked to a buffet lunch served at a Canberra restaurant Commun Dis Intell. 2014; 38(4): epub E273-8.
- Appuhamy A, Moffatt C, Davis S, Kelly P, Kennedy K. Hepatitis E in a food handler – a rapid risk assessment to guide the public health response. WPSAR. 2014 5(4).
- Moffatt C, Appuhamy A, Andrew W, Wynn S, Roberts J, Kennedy K. An assessment of risk posed by a Campylobacter positive puppy living in an Australian residential aged-care facility. WPSAR. 2014. 5(3)
- Moffatt CRM, Musto J. Salmonella and egg-related outbreaks. Microbiology Australia. 2013, May: 94-98.
- Moffatt CRM, Appuhamy R, Kaye A, Carswell A, Denehy D. An outbreak of Salmonella Typhimurium phage type 135a gastroenteritis linked to eggs served at an Australian Capital Territory cafe. Commun Dis Intell. 2012; 30(36): epub E281-5.
- Moffatt CRM. Eggs and Salmonella infections. ACT Public Health Bulletin. 2012; 1(2):5-7.
- Booy R, Lindley RI, Dwyer DE, Yin JK, Heron JG, Moffatt CRM, et al. Treating and preventing influenza in aged-care facilities : a cluster randomised controlled trial. PLoS One. 2012; 7(10): epub 2012 Oct 17.
- Moffatt CRM, Howard PJ, Burns T. A mild outbreak of gastroenteritis in long-term care facility residents due to Clostridium perfringens, Australia 2009. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2011; 8(7):791-6.
- Reynolds A, Moffatt CRM, Dyda A, Hundy RL, Kaye AL, Krsteski R, et al. An outbreak of gastroenteritis due to Salmonella Typhimurium phage type 170 associated with consumption of a dessert containing raw egg. Commun Dis Intell. 2010 Sep; 34(3):329-33.
- Moffatt CRM, Lafferty AR, Khan S, Krsteski R, Valcanis M, Powling J, et al. Salmonella Rubislaw gastroenteritis linked to a pet lizard. Med J Aust. 2010 Jul 5; 193(1):54-5.
- Moffatt CRM, Cameron S, Mickan L, Givney RC. Campylobacter jejuni Gastroenteritis at an Australian Boarding School: Consistency Between Epidemiology, flaA Typing, and Multilocus Sequence Typing. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2010 Jul 9.
- Kirk MD, Moffatt CRM, Hall GV, Becker N, Booy R, Heron L, et al. The burden of infectious gastroenteritis in elderly residents and staff of long-term care facilities, Australia. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010 Aug; 31(8):860-3.
- Dean AS, Moffatt CRM, Rosewell A, Dwyer DE, Lindley RI, Booy R, et al. Incompletely matched influenza vaccine still provides protection in frail elderly. Vaccine. 2010 Jan 8; 28(3):864-7.
- Rosewell A, Chiu C, Lindley R, Dwyer DE, Moffatt CRM, Shineberg C, et al. Surveillance for outbreaks of influenza-like illness in the institutionalized elderly. Epidemiol Infect. 2009 Dec 17:1-9.
- Dyda A, Hundy R, Moffatt CRM, Cameron S. Outbreak of Salmonella Typhimurium 44 related to egg consumption. Commun Dis Intell. 2009 Dec; 33(4):414-8.
- Moffatt CRM. Correspondence: A multi-centre prospective case-control study of campylobacter infection in persons aged 5 years and older in Australia. Epidemiol Infect. 2008 Oct; 136 (10):1315-6; author reply 6-8.
- Moffatt CRM, Green AC, Whiteman DC. Diagnostic accuracy in skin cancer clinics: the Australian experience. Int J Dermatol. 2006 Jun; 45(6):656-60.