Associate Professor Kamalini Lokuge, OAM, HOSM, leads the Humanitarian Health Research Initiative at the Australian National University. Dr Lokuge and her team conduct operational research in partnership with communities and service providers to inform effective health service delivery and prevention. Her appointment at ANU allows for an opportunity to link lessons learnt in the field to traditional research activities to inform an evidence base and achieve better outcomes for those living in the most challenging circumstances. The Humanitarian Health Research Initiative also emphasises building sustainable capacity for responding to existing and future humanitarian challenges.
Dr Lokuge is a public health physician and medical epidemiologist and has worked for Médecins Sans Frontières, the World Health Organisation and the International Committee of the Red Cross over the past 25 years in a range of humanitarian emergencies. She has advised State and Federal governments on their response to COVID-19 and is a member of Australia’s National COVID-19 Health and Research Advisory Committee. She has received the following awards for her work: Medal of the Order of Australia (2010), Humanitarian Overseas Service Medal (2018), Royal Australasian College of Physicians International Medal (2020), ANU Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Impact and Engagement (2020).
- Elston, J, Danis, K, Gray, N et al 2020, 'Maternal health after Ebola: unmet needs and barriers to healthcare in rural Sierra Leone', Health Policy and Planning, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 78-90.
- Caleo, G, Theocharaki, F, Lokuge, K et al. 2020, 'Clinical and epidemiological performance of WHO Ebola case definitions: a systematic review and meta-analysis', The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1324-1338.
- Alam, M, Banwell, C & Lokuge, K 2020, 'The effect of women's differential access to messages on their adoption of mobile health services and pregnancy behavior in Bangladesh: Retrospective cross-sectional study', JMIR mHealth and uHealth, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 1-16.
- Rendell, N, Lokuge, K, Rosewell, A et al. 2020, 'Factors That Influence Data Use to Improve Health Service Delivery in Low- and Middle-Income Countries', Global Health: Science and Practice, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 566-581.
- Alam, M, Banwell, C, Olsen PhD, A et al 2019, 'Patients and doctors perception on utility of Telemedicine service for maternal and child healthcare in Bangladesh: a qualitative exploratory study', JMIR Mental Health, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. -.
- Hodgkin, K, Joshy, G, Browne, J et al 2019, 'Outcomes by birth setting and caregiver for low risk women in Indonesia: a systematic literature review', Reproductive Health, vol. 16, no. 67, pp. 1-12.
- Davies, J, Lokuge, K & Glass, K 2019, 'Routine and pulse vaccination for Lassa virus could reduce high levels of endemic disease: A mathematical modelling study', Vaccine, vol. 37, pp. 3451-3456.
- Lokuge, K, Wallace, M, Subasinghe, K et al 2018, 'Protocol for a cluster-randomised controlled trial evaluating the impact of a preschool-based capacity building intervention on intimate partner violence and substance misuse in Sri Lanka', BMC Public Health, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1-9.
- Caleo, G, Duncombe, J, Jephcott, F et al 2018, 'The factors affecting household transmission dynamics and community compliance with Ebola control measures: A mixed-methods study in a rural village in Sierra Leone', BMC Public Health, vol. 18, no. 248, pp. 13pp.
- Whop, L, Baade, P, Brotherton, J et al 2017, 'Time to clinical investigation for indigenous and non-indigenous queensland women after a high grade abnormal pap smear, 2000-2009', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 206, no. 2, pp. 73-77pp.
- Theocharopoulos, G, Danis, K, Greig, J et al 2017, 'Ebola management centre proximity associated with reduced delays of healthcare of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) patients, Tonkolili, Sierra Leone, 2014-15', PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 12, no. 5, pp. e0176692-e0176692.
- Alam, M, D'Este, C, Banwell, C et al 2017, 'The impact of mobile phone based messages on maternal and child healthcare behaviour: a retrospective cross-sectional survey in Bangladesh', BMC Health Services Research, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1-12 pp.
- Lokuge, K, Thurber, K, Calabria, B et al 2017, 'Indigenous health program evaluation design and methods in Australia: a systematic review of the evidence', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 480-482.
- Guthrie, J, Dance, P, Lokuge, K et al 2017, Exploring the potential of Justice Reinvestment in Cowra.
- Kirk, L, Terry, S, Lokuge, K & Watterson, J 2017, 'Effectiveness of secondary and tertiary prevention for violence against women in low and low-middle income countries: A systematic review', BMC Public Health, vol. 17, no. 622, pp. 21pp..
- Lokuge, K, Caleo, G, Grieg, J et al 2016, 'Successful Control of Ebola Virus Disease: Analysis of Service Based Data from Rural Sierra Leone', PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 13 pp.
- Whop, L, Garvey, G, Baade, P et al 2016, 'The first comprehensive report on Indigenous Australian women's inequalities in cervical screening: A retrospective registry cohort study in Queensland, Australia (2000-2011)', Cancer, vol. 122, no. 10, pp. 1560-1569.
- Shah, T, Grieg, J, van der Plas, L et al 2016, 'Inpatient signs and symptoms and factors associated with death in children aged 5 years and younger admitted to two Ebola management centres in Sierra Leone, 2014: A retrospective cohort study', The Lancet Global Health, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. E495-E501.
- Whop, L, Baade, P, Garvey, G et al 2016, 'Cervical abnormalities are more common among Indigenous than other Australian women: A retrospective record-linkage study, 2000-2011', PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 11, no. 4, pp. -.
- Lokuge, K, Verputten, M, Ajakali, M et al 2016, 'Health Services for Gender-Based Violence: Medecins Sans Frontieres Experience Caring for Survivors in Urban Papua New Guinea', PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 11, no. 6, pp. e0156813.
- de La Vega, M, Caleo, G, Audet, J et al 2015, 'Ebola viral load at diagnosis associates with patient outcome and outbreak evolution', Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 125, no. 12, pp. 4421-4428.
- La Vincente, S, Mielnik, D, Jenkins, K et al 2015, 'Implementation of a national school-based Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine campaign in Fiji: knowledge, vaccine acceptability and information needs of parents', BMC Public Health, vol. 15, pp. 1257-1257.
- Nguyen, HTM., R. Hickson, T. Kompas, M. Geoffry, and K. Lokuge (2015), 'Strengthening Tuberculosis Control Overseas: Who Benefits?', Value in Health, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 180-188.
- Lokuge, B, Kopczynski, A, Woltmann, A et al 2014, 'Crusted scabies in remote Australia, a new way forward: Lessons and outcomes from the east arnhem scabies control program', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 200, no. 11, pp. 644-648.
- Reddel, S, Bruno, R, Burns, L et al 2014, 'Prevalence and associations of quetiapine fumarate misuse among an Australian national city sample of people who regularly inject drugs', Addiction, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 295-302.
- Klarkowski, D, Glass, K, O'Brien, D et al 2013, 'Variation in specificity of HIV rapid diagnostic tests over place and time: An analysis of discordancy data using a bayesian approach', PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 8, no. 11, pp. e81656-e81656.
- Lokuge, K, Shah, T, Pintaldi, G et al 2013, 'Mental health services for children exposed to armed conflict: Medecins Sans Fronteres' experience in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq and the occupied Palestinian territory', Paediatrics and International Child Health (Online), vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 259-272.
- Whop, L, Valery, P, Beesley, V et al 2012, 'Navigating the cancer journey: A review of patient navigator programs for Indigenous cancer patients', Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. e89-e96.
- Guthrie, J, Lokuge, K & Levy, M 2012, 'Influenza control can be achieved in a custodial setting: Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 and 2011 in an Australian prison', Public Health, vol. 126, no. 12, pp. 1032-1037.
- Samaan, G, Indriani, R, Carrasco, L et al 2012, 'Prioritizing live bird markets at risk of avian influenza H5N1 virus contamination for intervention: A simple tool for low resource settings', Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 107, no. 3-4, pp. 280-285.
- Aditamaa, T, Samaan, G, Kusriastuti, R et al 2012, 'Avian influenza H5N1 transmission in households, Indonesia', PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 7, no. 1, pp. e29971-e29971.
- Hickson, R, Mercer, G & Lokuge, K 2012, 'A metapopulation model of tuberculosis transmission with a case study from high to low burden areas', PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 7, no. 4.
- Whop, L, Garvey, G, Lokuge, K et al 2012, 'Cancer support services - Are they appropriate and accessible for indigenous cancer patients in Queensland, Australia?', Rural and Remote Health, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 1-10.
- Samaan, G, Hendrawati, H, Taylor, T et al 2012, 'Application of a healthy food markets guide to two Indonesian markets to reduce transmission of "avian flu"', Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 295-300.
- Hickson, R, Mercer, G & Lokuge, K 2011, 'Sensitivity analysis of a model for tuberculosis', 19th International Congress on Modelling and Simulation, MODSIM 2011, ed. Felix Chan, Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand Inc., Australia, pp. 926-932.
- Aditamaa, T, Samaan, G, Kusriastuti, R et al 2011, 'Risk factors for cluster outbreaks of avian influenza A H5N1 Infection, Indonesia', Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 1237-1244.
- Foxwell, A, Roberts, L, Lokuge, K et al 2011, 'Transmission of Influenza on International Flights, May 2009', Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 1188-1194.
- Samaan, G, Gultom, A, Indriani, R et al 2011, 'Critical control points for avian influenza A H5N1 in live bird markets in low resource settings', Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 71-78.
- Denehy, E, Raupach, J, Cameron, A et al 2011, 'OUTBREAK OF SALMONELLA TYPHIMURIUM PHAGE TYPE 44 INFECTION AMONG ATTENDEES OF A WEDDING RECEPTION, APRIL 2009', Communicable Diseases Intelligence, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 192-196.
- Guthrie J, Dance P, Kelly, P et al 2011, 'Public health capacity development through Indigenous involvement in the Master of Applied Epidemiology program - Celebrations and commiserations', Australian Aboriginal Studies, no. 2, pp. 102-110.
- Thomas, E, Barrington, H, Lokuge, K, Mercer, G 2011, 'Modelling the spread of tuberculosis, including drug resistance and hiv: A case study in Papua New Guinea's western province', Australian and New Zealand Industrial and Applied Mathematics, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 26-45.
- Indriani, R, Samaan, G, Gultom, A et al 2010, 'Environmental Sampling for Avian Influenza Virus A (H5N1) in Live-Bird Markets, Indonesia', Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1889-1895.
- Scotney A, Guthrie JA, Lokuge K, Kelly PM, 2010, "Just ask!" Identifying as Indigenous in mainstream general practice settings: a consumer perspective.Med J Aust. 17;192(10):609.
- Roddy P, Sterk E, Van Herp M, Calain P, Sprecher A, Jeffs B, de la Rosa O, Lokuge K, Palma PP, Clinical manifestations and supportive treatment outcomes: ebola haemorrhagic fever data from Bundibugyo, Uganda, Tropical Medicine & International Health, Vol 14, pp 4-4, Suppl. 2, Sep 2009
- Klarkowski, D, Wazome, J, Lokuge, K et al 2009, 'The evaluation of a rapid in situ HIV confirmation test in a programme with a high failure rate of the WHO HIV two-test diagnostic algorithm', PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 4, no. 2.
- Elema R, Mills C, Yun O, Lokuge K, Ssonko C, Nyirongo N, Mtonga V, Zulu H, Tu D, Verputten M, O'Brien DP.2009. Outcomes of a remote, decentralized health center-based HIV/AIDS antiretroviral program in Zambia, 2003 to 2007.J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic Ill);8(1):60-7
- Klarkowski DB, Wazome JM, Lokuge KM, Shanks L, Mills CF, O'Brien DP, The evaluation of a rapid in situ HIV confirmation test in a programme with a high failure rate of the WHO HIV two-test diagnostic algorithm. PLoS ONE. 2009;4(2):e4351. Epub 2009 Feb 6.
- De Jong, K, Ford, N, Van De Kam, S et al 2008, 'Conflict in the Indian Kashmir Valley I: exposure to violence', Conflict and Health, vol. 2, no. 10, p. 7.
- De Jong, K, Van De Kam, S, Ford, N et al 2008, 'Conflict in the Indian Kashmir Valley II: psychosocial impact', Conflict and Health, vol. 2, no. 11, p. 8.
- Schoen-Angerer T, Shepherd S, Lokuge K, Mills C, Fournier C, 2008, 'Kwashiorkor and severe acute malnutrition in childhood', Lancet, The (UK edition), vol. 371, no. 9626, pp. 1748-1748.
- Milton, A, Smith, W, Dear, K et al 2007, 'A Randomised intervention trial to assess two arsenic mitigation options in Bangladesh', Journal of Environmental Science and Health. Part A, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 1897-1908.
- Caldwell, B, Smith, W, Lokuge, K et al 2006, 'Access to drinking water and arsenicosis in Bangladesh', Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 336-345.
- Ng, J, Milton, A, Smith, W et al 2005, 'Urinary arsenic speciation as a tool to assess the efficacy of two drinking water interventions in Bangladesh', Toxicology Letters, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. S204-5.
- Lokuge, K, Smith, W, Caldwell, B et al 2004, 'The effect of Arsenic Mitigation Interventions on Disease Burden in Bangladesh', Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 112, no. 11, pp. 1172-1177.