Jason is a GP and an epidemiologist with a focus on the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and is a medical advisor at NACCHO, the National Aboriginal Community Contorlled Health Organisation. He works as a GP in Gurriny Yealamucka, an Aboriginal community controlled heatlh service in the community of Yarrabah in far north Queensland.
At the ANU his research focuses on improving prevention of cardiovascular disease among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and understanding the health needs of ACT's children.
He has an interest in developing team-based community health care, and the use of routinely collected data to improve health services. He works with NACCHO on primary healthcare reform and is involved in national reporting through his positions on the Australian Government's Health Services Data Advisory Group and the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Healthcare's Primary Care Expert Advisory Group.
He has supported the Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Sector through the COVID-19 pandemic and sits on the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander COVID-19 Advisory Group and the Guidelines Leadership Group of the National COVID-19 Evidence Taskforce.
- Agostino, J, Wong, D, Paige, E et al 2020, 'Cardiovascular disease risk assessment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adults aged under 35 years: a consensus statement', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 212, no. 9, pp. 422-427.
- Agostino, J, Ferguson, J, Eastwood, K et al 2017, 'The increasing importance of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 207, no. 9, pp. 388-393pp.
- Greaves, K, Smith, A, Agostino, J et al. 2020, 'Cross-sectional survey describing general practitionersï¿½ absolute cardiovascular disease risk assessment practices and their relationship to knowledge, attitudes and beliefs about cardiovascular disease risk in Queensland, Australia', BMJ Open, vol. 10, no. 8.
- O'Brien, K, Agostino, J, Ciszek, K et al 2020, 'Physical activity and risk of behavioural and mental health disorders in kindergarten children: analysis of a series of cross-sectional complete enumeration (census) surveys', BMJ Open, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 1-9.
- Paige, E, O'Donoughue Jenkins, L, Agostino, J et al 2019, 'Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander absolute cardiovascular risk assessment and management: systematic review of evidence to inform national guidelines [IN PRESS]', Public Health Research & Practice, vol. Online, pp. 1-5.
- Paige, E, Agostino, J, Phillips, C et al 2019, 'Living Guidelines for Absolute Cardiovascular Disease Risk Assessment and Management', Heart, Lung and Circulation, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 829-832.
- van der Linden, N, van Gool, K, Gardner, K et al. 2019, 'A systematic review of scabies transmission models and data to evaluate the cost-effectiveness of scabies interventions', PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. e0007182-1-18.
- Sturgiss, E, Agostino, J & Smith, GJD (2019) Conversations about obesity need to be realistic and informed, Australian Journal of General Practice, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 247-247.
- Sturgiss, E, Elmitt, N, Agostino, J et al 2018, 'The influence of therapeutic alliance on adult obesity interventions in primary care: A systematic review protocol', Australian Journal of General Practice, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 646-649.
- Strobel, N, McAuley, K, Matthews, V et al 2018, 'Understanding the structure and processes of primary health care for young indigenous children', Journal of Primary Health Care, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 1-12.
- Ju, I, Banks, E, Calabria, B et al 2018, 'General practitioners' perspectives on the prevention of cardiovascular disease: systematic review and thematic synthesis of qualitative studies', BMJ Open, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 1-17pp.
- Gardner, K, van Gool, K, Van der Linden, N et al. 2018, Evaluation of the One Disease Crusted Scabies Elimination Project.
- Paige, E, Welsh, J, Agostino, J et al 2018, 'Socioeconomic variation in absolute cardiovascular disease risk and treatment in the Australian population', Preventive Medicine, vol. 114, pp. 217-222pp.
- Sturgiss, E & Agostino, J 2018, 'Preventive Health Care Should Focus on Modifiable Cardiovascular Risk Factors, Not Obesity Alone', Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 71, no. 7, pp. 815-816pp.
- Sibthorpe, B, Agostino, J, Coates, H et al 2017, 'Indicators for continuous quality improvement for otitis media in primary health care for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 1-9.
- Agostino, J, Heazlewood, R & Ruben, A 2012, 'Improving access to primary care in the Cape York Peninsula region', Australian Family Physician, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 623 - 625.