Dr Nasser Bagheri is a Senior Research Fellow and spatial epidemiologist at the Australian National University (ANU), recipient of an Australian Research Council DECRA Fellowship and leads Visual and Decision Analytics (VIDEA) lab in the Centre for Mental Health Research. His research has focused on health care ecosystem and chronic diseases risk assessment, particularly, mental health, cardiovascular disease (CVD), diabetes, dementia, and Multiple Sclerosis. His primary research focus is on the application of spatial risk assessment methods and population-based intervention studies to provide epidemiological evidence for more rational implementation of strategies for the control of chronic diseases. He also conducts research in spatial epidemiology, geo-spatial analysis and modelling, and quantifying the impact of modifiable risk factors including lifestyle and contextual factors on chronic diseases. He is also interested in visualisation of health care and services patterns to generate evidence-informed policy for better policy planning and tailored interventions.
- Lawrence-Bourne, J, Dalton, H, Perkins, D et al. 2020, 'What Is Rural Adversity, How Does It Affect Wellbeing and What Are the Implications for Action?', International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 17, no. 19, pp. 1-13.
- Firouraghi, N, Bagheri, N, Kiani, F et al. 2020, 'A spatial database of colorectal cancer patients and potential nutritional risk factors in an urban area in the Middle East', BMC Research Notes, vol. 13, no. 466, pp. 1-3.
- Tabatabaei Jafari, H, Salinas Perez, J, Furst, M et al. 2020, 'Patterns of Service Provision in Older Peopleï¿½s Mental Health Care in Australia', International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 17, no. 22, pp. 1-18.
- Pishgar, E, Mohammadi, A, Bagheri, N et al. 2020, 'A spatio-temporal geodatabase of mortalities due to respiratory tract diseases in Tehran, Iran between 2008 and 2018: a data note', BMC Research Notes, vol. 13, no. 469, pp. 1-3.
- Bagheri, N, Pearce , S, Mazumdar, S et al. 2020, 'Identifying community chronic kidney disease risk profile utilising general practice clinical records and spatial analysis: an approach to inform policy and practice', Internal Medicine Journal, vol. online.
- Aw, J, Smurthwaite, K & Bagheri, N 2020, 'Investigating spatial convergence of diagnosed dementia, depression and type 2 diabetes prevalence in West Adelaide, Australia', Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 277, pp. 524-530.
- Furst, M, Bagheri, N & Salvador-Carulla, L 2020, 'An ecosystems approach to mental health services research [IN PRESS]', BJPsych International, vol. online.
- Mirzaei, M, Mirzaei, M, Sarsangi, A et al 2020, 'Prevalence of modifiable cardiovascular risk factors in Yazd inner-city municipalities', BMC Public Health, vol. 20, no. 134, pp. 1-8.
- Hashtarkhani, S, Kiani, B, Bergquist, R et al 2020, 'An age-integrated approach to improve measurement of potential spatial accessibility to emergency medical services for urban areas', International Journal of Health Planning and Management, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 788-798.
- Shabanikiya, H, Hashtarkhani, S, Bergquist, R et al 2020, 'Multiple-scale spatial analysis of paediatric, pedestrian road traffic injuries in a major city in North-Eastern Iran 2015-2019', BMC Public Health, vol. 20, no. 722, pp. 1-11.
- Tabari, P, Shabanikiya, H, Bagheri, N et al. 2020, 'Paediatric, pedestrian road traffic injuries in the city of Mashhad in north-eastern Iran 2015ï¿½2019: a data note', BMC Research Notes, vol. 13, no. 363, pp. 1-3.
- Bagheri, N, Batterham, P, Salvador-Carulla, L et al 2019, 'Development of the Australian neighborhood social fragmentation index and its association with spatial variation in depression across communities', Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 1189-1198.
- Chung, Y, Bagheri, N, Salinas-Perez, J et al 2019, 'Role of visual analytics in supporting mental healthcare systems research and policy: A systematic scoping review', International Journal of Information Management, vol. 50, no. 2020, pp. 17-27.
- Mavoa, S, Bagheri, N, Koohsari, M et al 2019, 'How do Neighbourhood Definitions influence the associations between built environment and physical activity?', International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 16, no. 9.
- Halimi, L, Bagheri, N, Hoseini, B et al 2019, 'Spatial Analysis of Colorectal Cancer Incidence in Hamadan Province, Iran: a Retrospective Cross-Sectional Study', Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy, vol. Online.
- van Spijker, B, Salinas Perez, J, Mendoza, J et al. 2019, 'Service availability and capacity in rural mental health in Australia: Analysing gaps using an Integrated Mental Health Atlas', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 53, no. 10, pp. 1000-1012.
- Mazumdar, S, Bagheri, N, Chong, S et al 2019, 'A Hotspot of Walking in and around the Central Business District: Leveraging Coarsely Geocoded Routinely Collected Data [IN PRESS]', Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy, vol. Online.
- Maas, C, Salinas Perez, J, Bagheri, N et al 2019, 'A Spatial analysis of referrals to a primary mental health programme in Western Sydney from 2012 to 2015', Geospatial Health, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 204-210.
- Bagheri, N, Konings, P, Wangdi, K et al 2019, 'Identifying hotspots of type 2 diabetes risk using general practice data and geospatial analysis: an approach to inform policy and practice [IN PRESS]', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol. Online.
- Desborough, J, Phillips, C, Mills, J et al 2018, 'Developing a positive patient experience with nurses in general practice: an integrated model of patient satisfaction and enablement', Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 564-578.
- Bagheri, N, Wangdi, K, Cherbuin, N et al 2018, 'Combining Geospatial Analysis with Dementia Risk Utilising General Practice Data: A Systematic Review', The Journal of Prevention of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 71-77.
- Hoseini, B, Bagheri, N, Kiani, B et al 2018, 'Access to dialysis services: A systematic mapping review
based on geographical information systems', Geospatial Health, vol. 13, no. 1.
- Madden, R, Kosari, S, Peterson, G et al 2018, 'Lapatinib plus capecitabine in patients with HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer: A systematic review', International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 72-80.
- Furuya-Kanamori, L, Sedrakyan, A, Onitilo, A et al 2018, 'Differentiated thyroid cancer: Millions spent with no tangible gain?', Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 51-57pp.
- Mazumdar, S, Bagheri, N, Konings, P et al 2018, 'Measuring Relationships between Doctor Densities and Patient Visits: A Dogâ€™s Breakfast of Small Area Health Geographies', Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 631-645.
- Kiani, B, Bagheri, N, Tara, A et al. 2018, 'Comparing potential spatial access with self-reported travel times and cost analysis to haemodialysis facilities in north-eastern Iran', Geospatial Health, vol. 13, no. 703, pp. 240-246.
- Bagheri, N, Wangdi, K, Cherbuin, N et al 2018, 'General Practice Clinical Data Help Identify Dementia Hotspots: A Novel Geospatial Analysis Approach', Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 125-134.
- Kiani, B, Bagheri, N, Tara, A et al 2017, 'Revealed access to haemodialysis facilities in northeastern Iran: Factors that matter in rural and urban areas', Geospatial Health, vol. 12, no. 584, pp. 237-244.
- Mazumdar, S, Pinzari, L, Bagheri, N et al 2017, 'A new generation of Primary Care Service Areas or
general practice catchment areas', Transactions in GIS, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1379-1390.
- Smurthwaite, K & Bagheri, N 2017, 'Using geographical convergence of obesity, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes at the neighborhood level to inform policy and practice', Preventing chronic disease [electronic resource]., vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1-9.
- Yu, Y, Davey, R, Cochrane, T et al 2017, 'Neighborhood walkability and hospital treatment costs: A first assessment', Preventive Medicine, vol. 99, pp. 134-139pp.
- Kiani, B, Bagheri, N, Tara, A et al 2017, 'Haemodialysis services in the northeastern region of Iran', Geospatial Health, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 130-136pp.
- Bagheri, N, Furuya-Kanamori, L, Doi, S et al 2017, 'Geographical outcome disparities in infection occurrence after colorectal surgery: An analysis of 58,096 colorectal surgical procedures', International Journal of Surgery, vol. 44, pp. 117-121pp.
- Furuya-Kanamori, L, Doi, S, Smith, P et al 2017, 'Hospital effect on infections after four major surgical procedures: outlier and volume-outcome analysis using all-inclusive state data', Journal of Hospital Infection, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 115-121pp..
- Desborough, J, Phillips, C, Mills, J et al 2017, 'Developing a Positive Patient Experience With Nurses in General Practice: An Integrated Model of Patient Satisfaction and Enablement', Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. Online, pp. 38pp.
- Lal, A, Dobbins, T, Bagheri, N et al 2016, 'Cryptosporidiosis Risk in New Zealand Children Under 5 Years Old is Greatest in Areas with High Dairy Cattle Densities', EcoHealth, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 652-660pp.
- Mazumdar, S, Butler, D, Bagheri, N et al 2016, 'How useful are Primary Care Service Areas? Evaluating PCSAs as a tool for measuring Primary Care Practitioner access', Applied Geography, vol. 72, no. -, pp. 47-54pp.
- Sarfati, D, Gurney, J, Lim, B et al 2016, 'Identifying important comorbidity among cancer populations using administrative data: Prevalence and impact on survival', Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. E47-+.
- Desborough, J., Bagheri, N., Banfield, M., Phillips, C., Mills, J., Korda, R., 2016, 'The impact of general practice nursing care on patient satisfaction and enablement in Australia: a mixed methods study.', International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 64, pp. 108-119.
- Ivory, V, Blakely, T, Pearce, J et al 2015, 'Could strength of exposure to the residential neighbourhood modify associations between walkability and physical activity?', Social Science and Medicine, vol. 147, pp. 232-241.
- Desborough, J, Phillips, C, Banfield, M et al 2015, 'Impact of nursing care in Australian general practice on the quality of care: A pilot of the Patient Enablement and Satisfaction Survey (PESS)', Collegian, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 207-214.
- Bagheri, N, Gilmour, B, McRae, I et al 2015, 'Community Cardiovascular Disease Risk From Cross-Sectional General Practice Clinical Data: A Spatial Analysis', Preventing chronic disease [electronic resource]., vol. 12, no. Feb 2015, pp. E26-E26.
- Dawda P, McRae I, Yen L, Islam MM et al. 2015. Does it matter who organises your health care?. International Journal of Integrated Care, vol 15, pp 11.
- Thurber, K, Bagheri, N & Banwell, C 2014, 'Social determinants of sugar-sweetened beverage consumption in the Longitudinal Study of Indigenous Children', Family Matters, vol. 2014, no. 95, pp. 51-61.
- Bagheri, N, McRae, I, Konings, P et al 2014, 'Undiagnosed diabetes from cross-sectional GP practice data: An approach to identify communities with high likelihood of undiagnosed diabetes', BMJ Open, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. e005305-e005305.
- Mazumdar, S, Konings, P, Hewett, M et al 2014, 'Protecting the privacy of individual general practice patient electronic records for geospatial epidemiology research', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 548-552.
- Jowsey, T, Yen, L, Bagheri, N et al 2014, 'Time spent by people managing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease indicates biographical disruption', International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 87-97.
- McBride, D, Paulin, S, Herbison, G et al 2014, 'Low Back and Neck Pain in Locomotive Engineers Exposed to Whole-Body Vibration', Archives of Environmental and Occupational Health: an international journal, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 207-213.
- Stebbings, S, Bagheri, N, Perrie, K et al 2012, 'Blended learning and curriculum renewal across three medical schools: The rheumatology module at the University of Otago', Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1176-1189.
- Witten, K, Blakely, T, Bagheri, N et al 2012, 'Neighborhood built environment and transport and leisure physical activity: Findings using objective exposure and outcome measures in New Zealand', Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 120, no. 7, pp. 971-977.
- Milosavljevic, S, Bagheri, N, Vasiljev, R et al 2012, 'Does daily exposure to whole-body vibration and mechanical shock relate to the prevalence of low back and neck pain in a rural workforce?', Annals of Occupational Hygiene, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 10-17.
- Bagheri, N, Mavoa, S, Witten, K et al 2012, 'Does the relationship between dwelling density and physical activity change with different neighbourhood boundaries?
', Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, vol. 15, pp. S32.
- Milosavljevic, S, McBride, D, Bagheri, N et al 2011, 'Exposure to whole-body vibration and mechanical shock: A field study of quad bike use in agriculture', Annals of Occupational Hygiene, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 286-295.
- Milosavljevic, S, McBride, D, Bagheri, N et al 2011, 'Factors associated with quad bike loss of control events in agriculture', International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 317-321.
- Bagheri, N, Holt, A & Benwell, G 2009, 'Using geographically weighted regression to validate approaches for modelling accessibility to primary health care', Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 177-194.
- Yen, L, McRae, I, Jowsey, T, Bagheri, N, (2013), 'Time spent on health related activity by older Australians with diabetes', Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders, vol. 12, no. 33.
- Mavoa, S., Bagheri, N., Witten, K., D O'Sullivan, D., (2012), Does the relationship between dwelling density and physical activity change with different neighbourhood boundaries? Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 15: S32. DOI:10.1016/j.jsams. 2012. 11.076
- Bagheri, N., Benwell, G.L, & Holt, A., (2009). A Geographically Weighted Regression analysis approach to modelling accessibility to primary health care. Journal of Applied Spatial Analysis and policy, 2(3):177-194.
- Bagheri, N., Benwell, G.L, & Holt, A., (2008) A new approach to modelling accessibility to primary health care: using a spatial accessibility index and a need index Journal of Hawaii Public Health, 1 (1): 14-27
- Bagheri, N., Benwell, G. L., & Holt, A., (2006) Primary Health Care Accessibility for Rural Otago: "A Spatial Analysis". Healthcare Review Online 10 (3).
- Gurney, J., Sarfati, D., Lim, B.T., Bagheri, N., Simpson, A.,Jonathan Koea, J., Dennett, E., (2013),Cancer, comorbidity and care: the prevalence and importance of comorbidity in cancer. Special Issue: COSA's 40th Annual Scientific Meeting. Cancer Care Coming of Age, 12-14 November 2013, Adelaide Convention Centre, Volume 9, Issue Supplement S3, pages 61–98, November 2013
- Bagheri, N., Benwell, G. L., & Holt, A. (2005). Measuring spatial accessibility to primary health care. The 17th annual Colloquium of the Spatial Information Research Centre, Dunedin, New Zealand, University of Otago, 103-108.