Mr Haribondhu Sarma is a public health researcher with a Masters degree in Anthropology. Currently he is enrolled as a PhD Student at the ANU Research School of Population Health. He was also affiliated with icddr,b as Head of the Nutrition Program Evaluation Unit. He has extensice experience in leading sophisticated assessment of health and nutrition programmes, mixed methods evaluation, knowledge translation and health system analysis. For the last 15 years he has been working in public health program, mostly in the field of nutrition, vaccination, health systems and HIV/AIDS. Mr Sarma has led 9 research projects as PI, conducted several large-scale evaluation studies, awarded more than US$2 million research grants, and published more than 35 papers including peer reviewed journal articles, book chapters and working papers. He has good collaboration with many reputed research organizations, including Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, KEMRI/Welcome Trust Research Programme, IHME of University of Washington, PATH, Population Council, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Save the Children, The Eduardo Mondlane University, Mozambique, University of Zambia, and Makerere Unversity, Uganda. In collaboration with these institutes, Mr Sarma has implemented couple of multi-country researches in different low-income countries in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Sarma H, Uddin, MF, Rahman Khan JR, Asaduzzaman M, Tarannum S, Hasan MM, Rahman AS, Ahmed T. Factors Influencing the Prevalence of Stunting among Under-five Children in Bangladesh. Food and Nutrition Bulletin (2017) (In press).
- Sarma H, Saquib N, Hasan MM, Saquib J, Rahman AS, Uddin J, Cullen MR, Ahmed T. Determinants of overweight and obesity among ever-married adult women in Bangladesh. BMC Obesity (2016) 3:13 DOI 10.1186/s40608-016-0093-5.
- Sarma H, Uddin, MF, Harbour C, Ahmed T. Factors Influencing Child Feeding Practices Related to Home Fortification of Micro-nutrient Powder among Caregivers of Under-5 Children in Bangladesh. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2016. DOI: 10.1177/0379572116645916.
- Uddin J, Alam N, Sarma H, Chowdhury MAH, Koehlmoos TP, Alam DS, Louis N. Consequences of hypertension and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, healthcare-seeking behaviors of patients, and responses of the health system: a population-based cross-sectional study in Bangladesh. BMC Public Health 2014,14:547
- Uddin J, Sarma H, Wahed T, Ali MW, Koehlmoos TP, Nahar Q, Azim, Vulnerability of Bangladeshi street-children to HIV/AIDS: a qualitative study. BMC Public Health 2014, 14:1151
- Sarma H, Gazi R, Islam M.A. Impact of training of teachers on their ability, skills, and confidence to teach HIV/AIDS in classroom: a qualitative assessment. BMC Public Health. 2013, 13:990 doi:10.1186/1471-2458-13-99.
- Uddin J, Sarma H, Bari TI, Koehlmoos T P. Introduction of new vaccine: decision-making process in Bangladesh. Journal of Health Population and Nutrition. 2013;31(2):211-17.
- Sarma H, Oliveras E. Implementing HIV/AIDS education: the impact of teachers’ training on HIV/AIDS education in Bangladesh. Journal of Health Population and Nutrition, 2013;31(1): 20-7.
- Burchett HED, Mounier-Jack S, Griffiths U K, Biellik R, Ongolo-Zogo P, Chavez E, Sarma H, Uddin J, Konate M, Kitaw Y, Molla M, Wakasiaka S, Gilson L, Mills A. New vaccine adoption: qualitative study of national decision-making processes in seven low- and middle-income countries. Health Policy and Planning 2012;27:ii5–ii16
- Sarma H, Oliveras E. Improving STI counseling services of non-formal providers in Bangladesh: Testing an alternative strategy. Sexually Transmitted Infections 2011;87:476-478